Small Gas Poker Burner

Discussion in 'Boilers' started by Tony Bird, Sep 19, 2012.

Help Support HMEM by donating:

1. Jul 9, 2019 #41

PomyMark

PomyMark

PomyMark

Hi tony have to make one for a boiler I have do you have any more details on how you did the gas jet

2. Jul 9, 2019 #42

PomyMark

PomyMark

PomyMark

Hi tony have to make one for a boiler I have do you have any more details on how you did the gas jet

3. Jul 9, 2019 #43

Tony Bird

Tony Bird

Tony Bird

Hi Mark,

Do you have any more details on how you did the gas jet?

Not sure what you mean. The burners shown are using a commercially made gas jet No.3 which I think has a 0.15 mm hole, when designing a new burner I start with the smallest which is a No.3 and work my way up in size until I am happy with the results. Hopefully this might be the answer if not expand the question and I will do my best to answer. In the attached video the small model locomotives that are running a little fast use the burner described in the thread.

Take care.

Tony.

4. Jul 10, 2019 #44

PomyMark

PomyMark

PomyMark

That is what I was after did you get that from Bunnings

5. Jul 10, 2019 #45

Tony Bird

Tony Bird

Tony Bird

Hi Mark,

That is what I was after did you get that from Bunning.

Sorry I don't know who Bunning is, are they in the UK? I probably got the jet from 'Chuffed to Bits' a steam model supplier here.

Take care.

Tony.

6. Jul 10, 2019 #46

PomyMark

PomyMark

PomyMark

Sorry I thought you was in Australia

7. Jul 10, 2019 #47

rickhann

rickhann

rickhann

I am coming into this discussion a bit late, but I may be able to add a bit. I worked for several years developing a propane burner for my 3-1/2" Rob Roy. I found a spread sheet calculator that calculated BTU output for a burner by entering orifice size, gas pressure, & orifice coefficient. It can be found @ https://ronreil.abana.org/BTU_Calculator.xls You must download and open the file. As for burner jets, I use misting nozzles. They are cheap. You can get 20 for $10 on eBay (.3mm/.024"). If you need smaller ones, aeromist.com has smaller ones (.008" and .012") for a couple dollars each. If you have a set of number drills, you can modify existing opening to whatever size you need. Have fun playing with the BTU calculator. Hope this adds to the discussion.
    Rick

8. Jul 10, 2019 #48

peter2uat

peter2uat

peter2uat

retired
    When we got our new cooking hob (for natural gas) there was a extra small bag with four no. 3 nozzles included - they are for propane gas - perfect for the next boiler. Thread is M6x0.75. I think most people just throw them away as those nozzles are of no use for them. Just ask around when someone gets his new kitchen...