• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to HomeModelEngineMachinist and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

small electric motor

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wes

Reaction score
I need a small electric motor such as the type use on old sewing machines. It's going to be used for the drill press I'm building. I dosen't need much power. I also need a small drill chuck.

Thanks
Wes

wes sewing machine repair shops usually have a box or several of used ones. Take in and engine or two tell them what you are doing and they should give you a deal on one maybe even give you one and if you you are lucky one with a variable speed control.
Tin

Lots of them on ebay. You can use a router speed control for these, too.

Dean

Well, there are no sewing machine repair shops anywhere nere us. I live 1 hour from the nerest town so we hardly go.
Bourne Bill, I would like to see what you have.
As for ebay, my computer can't access the site for some reason, I would rather deal out right anyway

Wes,

Getting back to your chuck requirements, I gather it will be a fairly small one that you need.

The smaller you go for a proper chuck (not the Dremel type) it seems the more expensive they get.

I don't know if these are available in the US yet, but they are certainly good value and quality for the money over here.

http://www.homemodelenginemachinist.com/index.php?topic=8744.0

You would need to turn the correct taper on the end of your quill to fit though.

I know that RDG do some very nice 1/4" Jacobs keyed chucks that have a thread mounting, and I have used these myself. Again good value for the quality and price. Near to the bottom of the page, the MT fitting screws out leaving behind a mounting thread.

http://rdgtools.co.uk/acatalog/WATCHMAKING_LATHE_ACCESSORIES.html

Bogs

Wes,
A very similar keyless chuck is available from http://littlemachineshop.com/ put "keyless chuck" in the search engine. You can get both a 1/2" and a 3/8" model for less than the price of a 1/8" model

My Servo drill press uses a 1/8" keyless chuck and uses an O-ring for the pulley drive system. It has plenty of power for tiny drills. I agree with the other gents and another type of belt should be found for a larger machine.

Cheers Dan

Bogs, I do agree that the smaller the chucks get the more expensive they get.
I would rather have a keyed chuck with a theaded hole for my use.

Wes,
I have "rescued" several chucks from old portable electric drills. I have a 1/4 inch one with a straight arbor on it that I mount in the 1/2 inch tailstock chuck, and a second 1/4 inch one that is mounted in ball bearings that I can put into the tail stock chuck and use as a live external center for working on long skinny shafts.

The mounting on them is almost universal at either 5/16-24 or 3/8-24 thread with a locating spigot. I think the thread and spigot specification is on the JacobsChucks.com website. If you want a keyed one you have to find an old one as most of the more modern are keyless.

When you take one off of a drill, be aware that there may be a screw holding it to the arbor as well as the threaded section. Open up the chuck an look down in the bottom of the inside of the chuck. The chuck will NOT come off unless the screw is removed first.

Second hand stores often times have them, and of course they are standard fare at garage sales and flea markets.

Gail in NM

The chuck will NOT come off unless the screw is removed first.
I seem to remember the screw in mine had a left hand thread!

I like the idea of finding an old drill with a good chuck. Might make another post to see if anyone has one.

Wes

It always amazes me why people use clapped out old drill chucks, especially the throw away ones that come on hand drills. They spend a fortune on good quality drill bits, then find they cannot drill a straight or correct sized hole to save their life.

The cost of a new reasonably good one is peanuts compared to the time and heartache caused by trying to restore and use worn out piles of junk.

I showed a Jacobs 1/4" drill chuck for about 15 to 20 bucks, and I expect you could find them for about that price in the US as well.

The way I look at things, a couple of six packs that are pi**ed up a wall in an evening, or a bit of kit for the shop, that if looked after, will last for many years. I know which one I would class as value for money.

There are a few items that can reasonably be restored and used in the workshop, drill chucks shouldn't even be considered as one, unless it is something like an Albrecht, which have new jaws available for them, but even that isn't a cheap exercise.

Bogs

Blogs, you do have a point there. I don't think it would be to hard to find a chck in fairly good shape. If I could find an old air drill, the chucks on them are not put through as much abuse as normal drlls are. They also tend to have smaller chucks. I'm not looking to spend a lot of money on this(I admit,I'm a tight wad).

Back