Small diesel engine?

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wagon173

Reaction score
Hey guys. So my dad took me to his friends mom's house the other day and she let me go through her late husbands shop without a leash as she was going to take it all to the dump. In addition to a mini drill press, several bench grinders, an old 10 inch radial arm saw, and more mill tooling than you can shake a stick at, there was a very small nitro airplane engine. Up to this point I've only done steam, but this engine seems so absolutely simple that I'm contemplating replicating it as an intro to IC. My only concern is that 1 I don't want to jump in the deep end right off the bat and deal with spark plugs, magnetos, timing, ect and 2 I'm not sure that I can replicate the platinum element and would also rather not mess around with nitro or glow fuel. Has anyone built a true miniature diesel? If so can it be made to run on readily available fuels and without the glow plug being constantly fired?

Outstanding. Thank you guys for those threads!

Back