Small Diameter music wire

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BobsModels

Reaction score
Hi

I am looking for music wire in diameters less than .006. .006 seems to be the smallest anyone stocks. I checked with Precision Brand and they do not have it. I know they used to have it as in the mid 60's I ran the machine that wound the 1# and 1/4# rolls and they went all the way down to .001 at that time.

I want to make a extension spring about .050 in diameter and .5" long.

I do not need very much maybe 30' would do me in any size less than .006 so if you know of a source please let me know.

If you have some you would be willing to sell send me a PM.

Thanks

Bob

Bob, I ordered a 1/4 lb. roll of .010" yesterday from MSC but as you say they only show .008" and .006" below that. I did note that those only come from MSC in 1 lb rolls though and the prices ($80/lb and $143/lb respectively) for the smaller sizes seem to go up exponentially!! I'll just make do with the .010 wire for $14/ quarter lb. Hopefully you can find someone with some smaller wire on hand, especially if you only need 30 feet or so. Sorry I can't be of more help...the other usual sources like Small Parts, etc. show the same minimum size of .006.

Good luck in the search though.

Bill

Try Guitar String

Though the smallest I know of is .009"

Dave

You might try calling a watch supplier.

I've used Frei and Borel for various small stuff over the years. www.ofrei.com - 1-510-832-0355.

However, I don't know for sure that they would have it - that's REALLY small and likely only made special order in Switzerland during months that end in Q or something (i.e. NOT CHEAP.)

Good luck!

Is there any chance you could cannibalize a spring? For example, the spring used in a cheap 1" dial indicator to return the stem is super small and fine. Maybe there are other objects with tiny springs you could attack and take apart.

The price of fine wire by the pound is an interesting phenomenon. I remember a spool of ultra-fine copper wire to wind model coils was BIG bucks, for me at least. The same 1lb spool in a heavier grade was cheap. I guess it makes sense when your 1lb Cu wire spool could stretch for several miles, it's that fine.

I remember that stuff as being significantly weaker than a human hair. Forgot its gauge, but wow it was tough to work with, without breaking it.

All

Thanks for your input. I should have been a little more clear in my original post. I had checked in with just about every source I could find on the internet. I was contacted off line with an offer to help with some .005, so I am getting enough for my springs.

I did followup on some other leads from responses and here are the results from those and my initial checking.

Sitar strings - talked to two suppliers, and smallest is .008.

Instrument strings - called several suppliers including one who handled several brands including those from europe, and they only went to .006.

Clock and watch repair - no luck

MSC, McMaster - no luck below .006

Precision Brand - said they could get smaller but I would have to pay for 10#

In general suppliers only sell in large quantites for special sizes.

EDM has some brass wire at .004 and it might work, I have a possible source for that.

I just got some .005 sent to me now to try a spring.

Again Thanks to everyone for your responses

Latest posts

Back