Small Chuck's Single Hit & Miss

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Superfast

Reaction score
Here it is, my small Chuck's Horizontal Single with added flyweight governor. At first I didn't know if it would work but a few suggestions by Chuck and Gail got it running!

Here is the video, see what you think:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H4KHmDs-iN4[/ame]

The engine is still in the "rough" but now that it is running pretty well I need to get rid of some tooling marks!

Scott

I love it but you beat me to it ???

I am still in the process of building mine.

I would like to see the prints for the govenor.

Great Job

:bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:

Bravo, love the way it runs and sounds.

Again, great job!

Chuck

Looks and sounds great, Scott. :bow: :bow:
I am glad you got it to submit to your desires.

Makes me want to put a governor on my 4 stroke version. Bunch of other projects ahead of that however.

Gail in NM,USA

Hi Scott... first of all welcome to the group (from your intro post). From the video, I would say Phase 1 went very well and it seems it already runs beautifully!! Its always nice when Phase 2 can be spend polishing things up rather than trying to figure out why something isn't working. Thanks for posting the video and again, welcome to the board.

Bill

great job love the way it runs where can one get the plans thank you and happy new year

That is superb, and what an excellent design too! Think it has to be quite high on my list of projects!

Now that is slick! well done. :bow:

WOW! :eek:

That is MODEL ENGINEERING!

Beautiful work and craftsmanship Scott!!! :bow:

Rick

Sweeeeetttt !! Nice job !! :big:

Where are the plans available ?

Mike

Scott,

Very very Nice
mgeye-popping.gif

Best Regards
Bob

Scott

Let me add my congratulations as well, really nice work :bow:

Cheers, Joe

Thanks for all the great replies, I am really happy with this little engine.

I am working on some drawings for the governor portion of the engine now, which I can hopefully finish in the next few days. There are no real drawings for the rest of the engine, maybe I can get some cad/solidworks time at work in the next week and draw some up. I am kind of a novice at cad but willing to give it a shot!

The next step for the engine is a water jacket to go over the cylinder. It might as well look like a Hit & Miss right? Along with a bunch of cleaning up tooling marks, a little paint and add some shine to it. I need to figure out something for it to "run" also, I plan on adding a drive pulley.

Scott

Ok, Here are drawings for the governor parts and a basic drawing of how they go together. Hopefully the drawings are up to par and no one has too many troubles reading them.

http://www.scottsrc.com/machining/flyweightgovernor.pdf

Here is a quick idea on how to make it work with a 4 cycle version. Basically the governor linkage is split between the 2 shafts, a fork that slides with the weight action, moves the sliding cam on the second shaft. The gray areas are the gears on the 4 cycle engine. Hopefully not too confusing.

4cycleidea.jpg

I am not going to do drawings for the rest of the engine yet, I took it apart to do a bunch of cleanup ....................... and well, had some new ideas. So far I have redesigned the base, frame and cylinder, and am currently building the new parts. The engine will have a complete new look to it when it is done. Once I finish it up, I plan on doing a full set of drawings for it, which will include the flyweight governor drawings.

Scott

superfast,

thanks for providing the prints. I am just about ready to make the parts for my engine.

Scott,

Wonderful work. This will be my next project when I manage to get back in the shop (having some dental surgery done right now). I'm a sucker for any new engine mechanism to add to my collection and the idea of an air engine that sounds like a hit&miss is just too good to pass up.

My brain has gone on vacation though - age takes its toll. I can't seem to visualize how the 0-80 screw you indicate on the print as the cam lobe interfaces to the rod that actuates the valve. Everything I've visualized so far doesn't seem like it would work.

Could you please do me a favor and put up a sketch (hand drawn is fine) of that part of the mechanism?

Marv,

It's not just you, I think my brain has gone with yours!

I've just looked at the post where Scott was adding the governor to his engine and understand it now!

Scott, I hope you don't mind but I've attached a rough sketch of how I see the mechanism working .. please correct me if I am off the mark!

I like the simplicity of this design and it seems to work superbly. I guess if the flyweights drop and try to push the cam back into hit mode, sometimes it will strike the side of the roller but only until the crank rotates a little more, then once the roller is out of the way it will slot into place?

Nick

sketch.JPG

Latest posts

Back