Small cast iron melting furnace

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow! Great video. I have some experience with Kao Wool (sp) but what adhesive and blue coating did you use?
Bovine

G'day 100model and a warm welcome to HMEM. Where abouts in Oz are you. Where did you get the fireclay and Kaowool?

That is very impressive and the furnace very easy to build but I am puzzled by the casting shown , surely cast iron would not be silvery in colour ? all of my castings are black and the sand needs blasting off.
How long does it take to melt a crucible of iron , how much propane used and do you add any ferro-silicon ?

Cogsy

Thank you for fixing the link, this the first time I have a problem with it any ideas as why it does't work?

Bovine

The adhesive is sodium silicate and the paint is called zircoat "w" and is made by Cast metal sevices Australia

Herbiev

The kaowool was purchased from an auction many years ago the fireclay came from a pottery supplies shop. I live in victoria.

abby

The reason why the casting is so shiny because I use petrobond sand, it gives a really clean surface. A quick wire brush is all that is needed when I sand mixed with coal dust. It takes 25 mins. from cold to melt 1.7 kgs of cast iron ready to pour. The crucible is a no1 clay graphite from morganite. Yes I do add ferrosilicon

I've read that one shouldn't use graphite crucibles for iron but the proof is in the pudding. Info probably came from someone selling Martin houses. (inside joke).
I am completely new to all this but it looks like something i can do. Could one make the tuyere a pipe and make the burner removable? I don't have a.torch like the one you used to fire the furnace so maybe I could use the furnace burner? But I don't know, that's why important here.

100Model, just wanted to say thank you for posting this video and for sharing your knowledge on this matter! I love your other videos on youtube and posted a comment asking for specifics on what temp the fiberblanket is rated for, how thick the total insulation is and how hot the outside of the foundry gets when run melting steel. Hope to hear from you.
Thanks,
db6261 aka junkman6261

Hi that is great simple build furnace just new to this sort of thing but i'll have a go at at making one of them . :)

100model. I'm also in victoria. I have a bag of hard refractory cement, would that work as the only lining? or do i really need kaowool or similar to provide enough insulation for cast iron melts?

where do you purchase your crucibles?

Latest posts

Back