Small 3 ph motor

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chucketn

Senior Citizen
Reaction score
I hauled off a Whirlpool HE washerfor a friend, intending to reuse the motor. Got it out to discoverit's 3 phase. What can I do with it? Don't have 3 phase in my shop.

Would it be of use for someone buildinga vfd/converter?

If it's of no us, I'll tear it apart as it has cast aluminum end bells.

Chuck

I asume that motor is long gone, but I'd kinda like to know any detail you might remember. HP? Washer model number?

Thanks!

I wouldn't throw it away quiet yet. They do make a single phase to 3 phase VFD. I install one on my vertical bandsaw. It works great.

Don

RCW, my bad, it's a Whirlpool, not a Westinghouse. Model on the machine says Duet. Motor has no hp lables but I would guess 1/4 hp unless 3 ph hp ratings are different than single phase. There was some type of instruction manual inside the cabinet but it had been badly chewed by mice. No other model/serial # info on the machine that I can find.

I did pull the control board that the motor connected to, and the belt and pulley from the drum. The pulley is about 12" in diameter and has an offset hub, like a car stearing wheel. I may try to modify it with a hose for a cover and mount the pulley on my mini lathe as a hand wheel for threading.

Don1966, I still have the motor. I'll wait a while to scrap it, to see if anyone local wants it.

Chuck

Chuck,

If this is a U.S. or Canadian consumer appliance the motor won't be 3 phase unless the accompanying electronics contained a VFD to power it. In that case you should already have all that is needed to run it.

A 3 phase motor will supposedly run on single phase; it just won't self start. I have read of people starting them using a pulley and a short starter rope.

Most likely, given the source, the motor is some kind of variable power design. Without a schematic though you probably won't ever know.

Alan

The motor has printed on it plain as day 3 ph motor. I will take a picture and post it.

Gabriel, this washer was purchased locally in
Tennessee, USA. Had a standard 3 wire USA type power cord. Does not look like the picture in your link.

Chuck

Ordinary washing machine induction motors are 2 speed single phase motors with the low speed rewinded as a 3 phase motor. The capacitor "makes up" for the other phase enabling it to run in both directions. The high speed is a normal 2 pole motor.
Later models came with a universal "treadmill" type motor with a speed pickup for the control board.
More recent models like my present LG come with a three phase magnetic rotor direct drive motor controlled by a special VFD.
Never seen domestic washers with a 3 phase motor but I don't say they don't exist.

Here are pictures of the motor and controller from the washer, including the labels on each. If it isn't worth anything to anyone I will trash the controller and strip the motor for the aluminum and other goodies.
If it will work for someone and you are willing to pay shipping, it's yours. Contact me offline via pm or e-mail. Sunday noon is the deadline, I've got plans for a melting party.

http://s571.photobucket.com/albums/ss157/chucketn/Machining/3 ph motor/

Chuck

Nice high frequency motor. At 17500rpm it would give a nice high speed spindle drive:eek:. At 120V, looks like it was made specific for the US market. Never came across one of those in Europe but I will be on the lookout her on our recycling plant;).

I hauled off a Whirlpool HE washerfor a friend, intending to reuse the motor. Got it out to discoverit's 3 phase. What can I do with it? Don't have 3 phase in my shop.

Would it be of use for someone buildinga vfd/converter?

If it's of no us, I'll tear it apart as it has cast aluminum end bells.

Chuck

Please try this website-----lathespeedcontrol.com for single phase to three pahse inverters.You have to confirm motor winding is in good condition with no leaks or shorts. Also use a digital ohmeter to check resistance of all three phase coils.If the reading differs to much,you have a bad coil.

Good Luck.

Now .Gus need help.Where can I buy assorted bar stocks in small qty for a friend in Kentucky to get him started.Here in Singapore I can easliy fax over a list and they will cut to lengths. In The UK too.

I assure you, it came from a washing machine.

Chuck

Although it says 3 phase on the motor, you only need one phase at 120V to run that motor. The 3 phases are "manufactured" by that controller board that is a basic purpose built VFD. With a little tweak you can do all sorts of things with that motor. It would be a shame to melt it.

Now .Gus need help.Where can I buy assorted bar stocks in small qty for a friend in Kentucky to get him started.Here in Singapore I can easliy fax over a list and they will cut to lengths. In The UK too.

I have had luck at a couple of local machine shops. Most of my barstock comes from stuff I've aquired/repurposed or inherited from my father.
Where in Kentucky? He/she could order from Online Metals or similar places.

Chuck

Speedy metals. com is another good place for short orders

Although it says 3 phase on the motor, you only need one phase at 120V to run that motor. The 3 phases are "manufactured" by that controller board that is a basic purpose built VFD. With a little tweak you can do all sorts of things with that motor. It would be a shame to melt it.
With no schematic to help figure out how to hook it up, how would I figure out how wire it?

Chuck

Chucketn,

How many wires were connected to the control board shown in the picture? Is it possible to trace the Hot and Neutral, usually black and white, from the plug to the control board?

I did find a schenatic for the washer inline at :

http://applianceassistant.com/repair/DuetWasherRepairGude-Part-Testing.php#ComponentTesting

Now need to figure out what the data stream is to controll the motor. I asume the data stream controls speed and maybe direction of the motor. If it truely is capable of 17,500 rpm, it might make a high speed spindle. Oh, by the way, E-Bay lists the motor and controller for a princely sum!
Guess
I'll hang onto it for a while. May go out and dig out the main controller board also.

Chuck

Latest posts

Back