Small 10-20-40 blocks that actually work.

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John S

Reaction score
Plus 20-40-80's

Come on lads get your hard earned coin out and get splashing.

http://www.arceurotrade.co.uk/Catalogue/Workholding/Vee-Blocks-Angle-Plates

Top of the page.

Bit of history first, the original 1-2-3 blacks were made by Starrett and the idea was they bolted together to form angle, tee's, used as packing or to bolt items to to preserve squareness.

One of those items that never had a specific designed use but was different thing to different people, very useful.

However at some stage these blocks went over to Taiwan and were copied but they drilled all the holes tapping size for 3/8" UNC, tapped some then hardened and ground them before changing the un-tapped holes to clearance holes.
Result is they wont bolt together as designed and since then millions of sets have been copied and made in India, and China. Even the Starrett ones are now wrong as they have them made out.

Another problem even for people with decent sized machines is they are too large, at 1" high they are 2" wide and at 1" wide they are usually taller than the average vise.

Soooooooooo, may I present these blocks above?

Again hardened and ground but they CAN bolt together and are of a size to suit most muddle enjuneers.

Listed as The Stevenson blocks because that cretin Ketan at ARC is still pissed off I gave him a quid for a nearly new X3 CNC mill and I told him not to name them after me. Wouldn't have been bad if I got royalties but the tight bastard wants the mill back first and not prepared to give me the quid back.

Seriously nice bit of kit and my pre production set has been in use daily for the last couple of months, in fact the 1-2-3's haven't been out the drawer.

Full marks to Ketan for listening and getting something done about them.

John S.
Modify message

John, That angle tilt plate (last on the link page) would be even more useful if it had
provision to use some spacer blocks like a sine bar under it. Even if not quite as
accurate as a true sine bar it could do a lot.
...lew...

I just can't wait to get my sets delivered.

The normal 321 blocks have been well used over the years, but they have always seemed just a little too big for use in my mill vice.

These seem to be ideal, and if John has had anything to do with them (like his spindexer), then they will be well thought out and fill a much needed gap.

When mine get here, I will give you an unbiased rundown on them.

They really do look like they could be the new blocks on the block.

Nice ones John

John

Nice looking blocks, should be really useful but ....OUCH ..... £12.41 postage - perhaps next pension day!

Haha
I was thinking the same thing Tel.
Seems everytime I want something, I can't buy it here.
If I can, it is at over inflated prices! (Supplier standard answer: 'freight'.... don't get me started on Caswell Australia)

Gonna need to some serious thinking about these blocks.... hmmm :-\

How is that for service, my blocks arrived by snail mail at lunchtime, having been sent yesterday. I think Arc Euro are about the only people in the country who can get the Post Office to jump through hoops and behave themselves.

So I just had to drag myself out into the shop to get them checked out.

You might think I am over reacting about these small blocks. Far from it, if a new thing comes on the market that is going to help me set up better in my vice, or on my machines, I soon let all my friends know. Sometimes it just might only be a one day deal, so you have to jump when the chance arises.

I told you this will be an unbiased view, and I do hope that will come across.

These are my blocks, just as they have been unwrapped, except that I rooted out a few cap screws.

The surface finish is very nice, nice and smooth with no signs of rippling or burning. I tried a file test down one of the plain holes, and they are HARD. I also have two sets of 321 blocks, and the screws are very tight in some of the tapped holes, on all four of these blocks, they were a nice smooth fit, no picking up or tightness detected anywhere, and all holes had a nice clean chamfer on them. The small blocks use 6mm screws and the larger, 8mm.

Blocks01.jpg

Now we get down to the nitty gritty, how are they off for size and squareness. I have to say that one measurement is out.

The lengths and widths were spot on, or as spot on as I can measure at 60 degs F and with calibrated mics. The error was in the thickness. Both sets are the same amount too thick by 0.05mm (0.002"). This doesn't cause me any concern at all as they are the same amount out for each pair, it is if they were different thicknesses that I would worry.

I checked the squareness all round on all four blocks, and as far as I am concerned, they are spot on.

Blocks02.jpg

Now for my appraisal, are they any good for the job that I want them to do.

They certainly are, not only can I use them as good quality thick parallels, the larger ones more so than the smaller, but both sets will be used, with a few clamps and special screws making, they will become indispensable for me holding small parts.

You can see from this shot that the screws, even though fairly close on the small blocks, don't overhang the sides at all, so no real problems on that score. I suppose you could use half height heads if you were picky.

Just one criticism, if it was me making them, I would have gone for one size smaller threads in each set, 5mm & 6mm, they would have been plenty strong enough. But that is just me being picky, maybe they need to be that larger size for some reason.

Blocks03.jpg

A very happy chappie with a few new bits to help me when I get stuck. ;D

John

Really nice find! Do you know if they sell and ship to the U.S. ?
Or, do they have a U.S.A. outlet for state side sales.
Thanks,
George

NICE!
I have just hit the button woohoo1 think they will be at my doorstep in a week or so ;D
I have use for them in my new project I think scratch.gif
CS

Well they look good,

I'm thinking if we get five guys together here in Australia that want one set of each (2x 10-20-40 and 2 x 20-40-80) then we can split the shipping.
The landed cost for one set of each (2x 10-20-40 and 2 x 20-40-80) to Perth, West Australia is $71.43AU, but the landed cost for 5 sets is $48.31AU each.
Then it would just be local pickup or Austpost from here.

PM me if you are interested.
Cheers,
Phil

Phil, I'm in.
If we get enough people for a bulk buy, might be able to negotiate with Arc for a discount?

I'm an Idoit. Huge.
I placed an order with Arc last night but decided not to get the blocks 'coz of the freight costs.

Seeing your pricing above had me seriously confused, was cheaper than the figures I was getting!
Then it clicked.... these come in pairs.... I had two pairs of each in my cart. D'oh! ::)

The item I ordered last night(Lathe collet chuck), the freight is the same as the item price, $45 each!
:'(

Just a quick question for those guys that have got the two sets.
What do they weigh?

Armed with that knowledge and the Australia Post shipping calculator, the eastern states boys can decide if it's worth jumping in on the Western Australia order or organising there own bulk order.

Three sets so far, another two and its a go.

Cheers,
Phil

Yep 5 it is.
I plan to place the order on Friday night. That will give me a chance to find out the weight and work out the shipping to East Aus.
Still room for a few more to join in.
I'l keep you all informed by PM.
Cheers,
Phil

Update: Arc Euro replied to my query about the combined weight of the two sets. It's 1.6kg.

HIi,
received mine this morning,
the small set weighs approx 63g
the large set weighs approx 742g

regards

G

coalburner said:
HIi,
received mine this morning,
the small set weighs approx 63g
the large set weighs approx 742g

regards

G

Thanks G, Thm:
That's good info.
Cheers,
Phil

Some clarification:

Small Set is about 75grams. Large Set is about 770grams. This is without the extra outside mail bag/envelope packing. ARCs original reply misplaced the decemal points when adding. Sorry!

Ketan at ARC.

Just put the order through.
There were six of us all together and the items worked out to just under $50 AU for the two sets including shipping to West Oz. It would have been just over $70 AU if we had gone it alone.
Thanks guys for putting your hand up and getting together. :bow:

Cheers again,
Phil

Some clarification:

Small Set is about 75grams. Large Set is about 770grams. This is without the extra outside mail bag/envelope packing. ARCs original reply misplaced the decemal points when adding. Sorry!

Ketan at ARC.

No worries Ketan,
The two options for parcels within Australia by AustPost is a 500g satchel or a 3kg satchel. So it will be the 3kg satchel when I forward them on the the guys in the Eastern States.

Latest posts

Back