Slotting Attachment for a Vertical Mill/Drill

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maryak

Reaction score
Help ::)

I have looked pretty long and hard at the internet and my back copies of MEW and their plans.

I have a "gut feel" I've read about or seen a picture of one somewhere ??? ??? ???

Can anybody point me in the right direction.

Just to clear things up, I mean a mechanical device driven off the spindle not a hand job ::)

Regards
Bob

I think that Bridgeport made a slotting head that could be mounted on some models of there mills, it isn't a simple add on though the milling head had to be removed or the ram could mount one head on each end, can't remember for sure.

Yes Bridgeport did make two headed monsters .One of the shops I worked at had one. never saw the slotter used though. Also have seen the slotting head only for sale at Cabin fever.

Just to clear things up, I mean a mechanical device driven off the spindle not a hand job
I do not recall seeing a powered attachment available .
I have seen indexable attachments for shapers that allow slotting and spline cutting.
Tin

Thanks for your replies Guys,

May have to have a think about designing one, but its not that high on my list.

Regards
Bob

The BP slotting attachment mounts on the opposite side of the ram from the head and has its own motor. You would rotate the ram around the turret to use it.

Yes just spin the ram around

They look like this

img10.gif

Tin

hmmmm...
that probably ain't gonna happen on my square column mill....LOL

Steve

I'm pretty sure somebody (Bradley? Mason?) designed one to fit the Myford lathe - should be able to modify that if you can find the details of it

Maryak you may want to look into rotary broaching depending on what you are trying to do. Somewhere around here I have and old home shop machinist that had an article on rotary broaching . IIRC the author lived in Alaska so the ability to make your own socket to fix the truck could come in handy. The attachment worked on his lathe. Do not recall if it was made or purchased . I need to find that issue.
Tin

Tin Falcon said:
IIRC the author lived in Alaska so the ability to make your own socket to fix the truck could come in handy. The attachment worked on his lathe. Do not recall if it was made or purchased . I need to find that issue.

TF ............ that would be an interesting read if you can turn it up .... good luck with the hunt 8)

CC

Thanks to all who have responded :bow: :bow:

Now if only I had a Bridgeport....... ::) ::)

TF If you manage to find the article that would be great ;D

Tel, Only thing I could find for Myford lathe was a hand job.

I envisaged something along the lines of a tapping attachment size wise and driven off the spindle with a keep around the column ::) ??? ::) ??? ;D

Regards to All
Bob

I have a dim memory of a pic in either the Bradley or Mason book - I'll try to hunt 'em out as time permits. It was pretty basic, from memory - the 3 jaw chuck drove a crankshaft that. in turn, drove a slide back and forth, said slide incorporating a tool post. Of course, to apply the same thing to a mill, you would end up with a horizontal slotter, but ......

Thanks Tel,

There's no panic on this one. It's just one of those things swimming around in the murky corners of the grey lump between my ears and used primarily for keeping them separated :D

Best Regards
Bob

OK Bob, if you hear nothing for a few days it doesn't mean I've forgot - just disappeared into the workshop, fell down a 'ole or got on the Guinness again. ;)

Bloody Hell Tel :eek: :eek: :eek:

I'm on a pension and trying to build a new house to retire to ::) ::)

Sure way to a divorce and then I won't even be able to afford a tent ;D

Best Regards
Bob ;)

They're pretty proud of it, ain't they.

Need to wrack my brain to remember where that old prehistoric(1995 B.C., that would be before color printing) issue of HSM Is probably put in a safe place handy to read hmm where is That!!.
Tin

T/F

I have the same problem, :eek:

When I find out where I placed my place for safe keeping, I'll let you know. It's usually located right under my nose - probably why I can't see it. ::) ::)

Best Regards
Bob

Several thoughts spring to mind.

First, to Cedge, RE a square column mill, I envision a slotting device specifically made to bolt to the side of them mill head and run parallel to the spindle axis.

Second, with all the steam engine afficionados, it shouldn't be that hard to knock together an idea for a linkage to use to drive a slotter from a rotary power source. I'm reminded of, for example, Marv Klotz's linkage for his die filer. Why wouldn't that work?

Failing that, even hand powered slotting attachments can be very handy for smaller broaching jobs. For example, here is Evan Williams's slotter from the HSM board:

hs1.jpg

I could see attaching one of these to the side of a square column mill head. It would then always be available and ready for use. Just install a tool in it, position the head over the work, and start slotting.

Lastly, for the CNC'ers among us, I am surprised we haven't yet seen someone build a slotter tool holder that mounts to the side of the head. It would be completely power operated by the Z axis servo moving the head up and don't. Note that you don't want it on the spindle--don't want the broaching forces hammering your spindle bearings. But a rigid mount to the side of the mill head and relatively small broaches could be a very useful accessory.

Back