Slot cutting question

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EVAN WYNES

Reaction score
Hi all....I need to cut a 1/8" slot in a piece of stainless steel ( I don't know what type of stainless it is...it came with a PM Research kit).
I was going to use a slit saw, but I'm not sure which one to use and at what RPM to run at. One of the slit saws is 3" X 1/8" 30T , the other is 1 1/2" X 3/32 36T. The slot needs to be .433" deep. Also, I'm not sure if I should do the in 1 pass or do it 2 or more. Attached are photos of the saws. Any opinions or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

IMG_2744.jpg
IMG_2745.jpg

Evan--that top picture looks like a slot cutter that would be used with a horizontal mill, where the arbor was supported at both ends. All of my slot cutters look like the one in the bottom picture, which is typical of slot cutters used on a vertical mill. The depth of cut available with that bottom cutter will depend a great deal on how big the head of the mounting screw is. I run my cutters at about 250 rpm. with a 0.100" depth of cut, very slow feed, and lots of squirt on cutting oil.---Brian.

Last edited:
I'd strongly suggest a very low RPM. I'm not sure of the allow but if it is one that work hardens real fast you will want a very low SFPM. That and use a steady feed rate that keeps all teeth cutting. Use a SFPM of less than half of what you would use for mild steel. I'd keep the spindle well under 100 RPM.

As for experience with Stainless I haven't slitted any but did do some tool steel at work. I had the RPM's too high and frankly ruined the saw and actually created a significant hard spot in the work. The unfortunate thing here is that a hard spot in a slit is very difficult to deal with.

Latest posts

Back