sleeve valve cylinder ports shape, and drive stroke questions.

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cox24711

Reaction score
Noosa, Sunshine Coast, Queensland, Australia
Hello again HMEM
I have some questions in regards of a sleeve valve engine I am designing (single sleeve like the barr and stroud sleeve valve engines)
what is the ideal shape for the ports in the cylinder and sleeve for maximum flow?
and what would be a suitable stroke of the sleeve drive?
The bore is 31mm
and the stroke is 26mm
Thanks
Greg

Harry Ricardo was the driving force behind the sleeve valve in aircraft engines. He has a complete layout of a sleeve valve cylinder in his book The High Speed Internal Combustion Engine. That reprint is well worth the cost. It doesn't have the large fold out drawings of the original. The original that I have a copy of from the 1960s is worth hundreds of dollars. He also reports on his decades of test programs on various sleeve valves and has useful information on clearances and various port layouts.

Lohring Miller

chiptosser yes I have looked at 1924 barr and stroud information booklet that I have as a pdf
lohring thankyou for the suggestion. I admire sir Harry Ricardo, it's a pity that the sleeve valve engine never really has been in widespread use (of course I am aware of the bristol radials and Napier Sabre)

Latest posts

Back