Slater/Wilkinson Mills

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tin Falcon

Reaction score
Hey folks a busy /tiring but all in all fun weekend . In grade school I remember learning about Samuel Slater sneaking out of England to come the the colonies to start a new mill.At the time there was a trade embargo and no one was allowed to export technology of any kind out of England to America no machines, no drawings even experienced mill wrights like same Slater were not allowed to travel to the new USA under penalty of death.
I finally got to visit Slater mills this past weekend. http://www.slatermill.org/museum/about Next to Slater Mill is Wilkinson Mill http://files.asme.org/ASMEORG/Communities/History/Landmarks/5659.pdf Mr Wilkinson is credited with inventing the screw cutting lathe.
I will say not a large museum but a great experience. I can say the staff was fantastic we were treated like family by the rangers and inturperaters. The Wilkinson mill was and is a machine shop that is powered by a water wheel with electric backup power. There were several lathes a couple of milling machines. A planer a shaper a drill pres etc etc. IIRC one of two operational Brown and sharp model 1 mills . Many of the machines were Brown and sharp not surprising since providence is not far away from the mill. Most of the machines are slightly newer than the mill like 1870s but the exhibits is the best of what is available.
There is also an exhibit of period woodworking machines.And a colonial farm house and family life exhibit in a third historic building.
There are several positive note worthy things I noticed about this place. Quite a bit of hands on exhibits for the kids period or reproduction tools for them to try and safety glasses to use. I even got to try the line shaft driven drill press. also the museum makes some of the items in the gift shop. the bookmarks are made on the 1899 Jacquard programmable loom. and the packs of cotton seeds are a byproduct of the replica cotton gin.
So if you live near or are passing by the Pawtucket/ Providence Rhode Island area stop in and check it out.
I admit that the $12 per person adult ticket price seems a bit high but it includes a tour that takes 1 1/2 to 2 hours and they do not just let folks walk on there own in the buildings. So IMHO the ticket price is worth it and it supports a great piece of history and great museum. And yes pictures will follow when I get a chance to upload and post links. sorry the pics of the jacquard loom did not come out.
Tin

Enjoyed the post - I always love to see old manufacturing sites and try to figure out how they worked - how they did it at time - Grandfather lived in Michigan, when I was a kid, first place I wanted to go was Henry Fords Greenwich village, I lived by Knott's berry farm in California, but Ford's collection was much more interesting.

A nice working model of the Water wheel. The wheel is water power an electric pump lifts and recycles the water.

WM009638.jpg

The shaper Had to tell the park ranger what it was and how it works
WM009610.jpg

One of the milling machines
WM009614.jpg

and one of the lathes
WM00967.jpg

Tin

Back