Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
B

Bogstandard

If you have an adsl connection, Skype is a great way to keep in contact and have a chat.

I regularly have contact with people from all corners of the world and it costs nothing except for a cheapo headset and video cam, and a bit off your broadband download allowance.

The way to do it is if someone is showing as online, just phone them using Skype.

Get yourself a Skype handle, mine is bandit175 and by doing a Skype search for the name or email address, you will be in contact in a few seconds. The name is then set up in your contacts list then just pressing two on screen buttons your are soon talking face to face.

A wonderful way of putting names to faces and getting all the latest gossip.

It makes the world shrink.

If you don't want to be disturbed, your Skype can be set to tell prospective callers just that. Even conference calls can be set up very easily. The more the merrier.

John

My Skype name is Alan Alborough (not Dick Dastardly as some may be surprised to find). I have used it to chat with a buddy posted to Brunei with great success.

I don't use it that often but the picture chat facility makes it very easy to catch up with how the kids are growing etc. He even took me on a giuded tour of his rather palatial house.

Al

Al,

Real nice having the initial contact and chat.

John

Skype is great, I have to go to Morocco and Egypt all the time for work and nearly all hotels now have a wi-fi connection so I use it all the time, my name is Giles Simmons BTW

Giles

Back in November 2007 I went to Italy for 2 weeks with my wife. Knowing that my Sprint cell phones didn't work, I looked for a solution to communicate with home at low or no cost. Renting a GSM enabled cell phone would have cost over $100... then I learned about Skype from a friend. I did some more research and discovered that Skype would function on a Windows Mobile enabled Pocket PC. I bought a used Toshiba e750 Pocket PC on ebay with a bunch of accessories for less than $100 and bought $10.00 in Skype minutes to use if I called a number that was not a Skype user... I successfully made two calls to kids while we were in Europe from hotels that had free Wifi... The cost for the length of the calls would have been more than my Pocket PC / Skype solution... I also made a call to a landline (my brother)...

The Skype software is FREE... and there is no cost to use it when you are calling another Skype user... only if you are calling a landline phone... I heartily recommend it for international voice or video calls to friends... :)

Talk to a tinternet mate in Malaysia (Yes Tel,you know who the bu**er is) most days for about a couple of hours,..................fer FREEEEEEEEEE on Skype.
Regards Ian.

Back