Sitting At The Lathe

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
th

When I was working at the shop before going on disability, I ordered one of these type of stools from I believe either Penn Tool or MSC. The height is fully adjustable and although you can actually sit with your feet off of the ground, you can park a butt cheek or two on it and it takes the load off of your feet. I ordered one because I have a bad back from getting kicked by a horse when I was young, then later on in life I had a diving accident where I hit my head on the bottom of a concrete pool. Someone tripped and pushed me. THe chair really does help for ones that can't stand on there feet for long periods of time.

We have these at work.... best invention to hit the shop since the lathe.

Hi all
I have the same problem with standing just got me a Bar Stool life changer ok I only have a small lathe 7x14 and a mini mill but it works for me I can spend much longer at the machine.

Buzzbait,
I have issues with my legs, too. Have since '77 but I use a stool at both the lathes and mills. Yes it is awkward, but it helps me to spend time at a job.
Most employers had no problem with me resting at a machine so long as I produced. One just didn't like anyone not "conforming" to his standard! Still, he hired me. I stayed long enough to learn who NOT to work for!
I can't necessarily sit the whole time but when the legs tire the stool helps to "get-r-done". The watchmakers lathe I have is great for sitting with my legs under the machine, but right now it is on an old wood stove with no way to get legs under it.

Latest posts

Back