Single Sleeve Valve 'diesel' Engine

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Greg, if I may say so I think you have made a wise decision! The Kiwi looks like an interesting and as you point out, a proven runner. If it was me I would probably go for air cooled as being the easier, quicker to completion, option as I would see it, plus no water seal problems to worry about. A water system would presumably need a header tank and circulation pump. None of the water system stuff is difficult, just extra things to do. Depends on what you feel like and how quick you want to see it running!

Glad too to see you getting into the hobby at such a young age. My advice, for what it's worth , is take it steady and set achievable targets as you build your models, it will boost your confidence to achieve what you set out to do rather than to get discouraged when you fall a wee bit short, after all, compared with most of us oldies you have a lot of time on your side!

Re my non-starter, I've done all you have suggested already and the lack of compression is a more fundamental problem. A friend 'Down Under" has had the same problems with his build. I think there is a design problem which I am looking at.

Chris

PS. I also had a Seagull outboard - an iconic engine and pretty bombproof, loved it even if it was a bit noisy and smelly, but it always started, a major plus point!

I built my first engine in high school shop when I was around your age. It taught me a lot about manufacturing and got me my first real job. That was 60 years ago and designing and building things is now my hobby. No matter what you build, the experience will be valuable. It doesn't matter whether your first attempt is successful, the experience will teach you a lot. I can see from your 3D modeling you are well on the way to becoming a mechanical engineer. I'm learning Fusion 360. Programs like this are the future of design , manufacturing, and engineering.

Lohring Miller

Hi lohring and Chris
thanks for your comments I really appreciate it.

I use fusion 360 too and I am currently working on the modelling for the diesel kiwi.
Gov14_09Rail015a.jpg
I'm going to need to save up a bit or decide which kidney I am going to sell
because the hemingway kit is $400 au dollars! plus the
shipping.
or
option 2 I keep my kidneys and see how much I can get a local foundry to cast the bits using my 3d model. and get other bits cast like the crankshaft flywheel cylinder head etc and see what that gets me to.

I was supposed to be saving up for a mill.......
blimey its school tomorrow as well! its the last week and then it is holidays!
Screen Shot 2018-09-16 at 11.18.10 pm.png Screen Shot 2018-09-16 at 11.18.26 pm.png
Greg

Just a thought, if you have the plans you could look into maybe "carving it out the solid", with maybe a small redesign here and there to accommodate not having castings. Would get you an engine that was similar is not the same. Provided all the essentials remain the same of course it should work. Maybe a cheaper way round? And save on your kidneys!

Chris

Latest posts

Back