Simple & Unexpensive lathe CAD/CAM package

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hacklordsniper

Reaction score
I recieved my CNC mill and lathe with Siemens 808D controller.

I purchased Vectric Cut2D for my router month ago, and it works perfectly with my milling machine and 808D.

But i cant seem to find any CAD/CAM package for my cnc lathe that is suitable for a hobby used (pricing) and supports my controller (Siemens 808D)

I tried Kipware, but 808D does not read its outputs. Some other packages that could be compatible cost over 1000-2000 $.

Any suggestions?

A calculator ans a text editor are very capable for lathe work. It is called manual programming.

Might be able to use you existing package, just change the Y to Z & I to K in an editor before you send it to the lathe.

How complex are the parts you want to make?

Also, just a little work in CAD can give you a lot of the results. I actually had some VBA code that worked in Progecad (similar to AutoCad) that would allow you to generate code from inside autocad. Unfortunately, aAutocad seems to have screwed with VBA and things don't work now. Either that or they got to close to VB.NET and broke everything...

You could try Autodesk Fusion 360, it's free for students and hobbyists. It is a full 3D parametric CAD system and also CAM working in the same interface. It is cloud based and for Windows only. I have just started using (trying to use) the CAD part it is a bit different to what I am used to. I can't comment on the CAM part but apparently it all works from the same screen. Down load from here
Cheers
John

If the control supports canned cycled for lathe work, then it's often easier and faster to use these manually. The way they work is that you define the profile to be produced as a series of simple G-code commands, typically G1/G2/G3 moves, typically proceeding in the -Z direction. Put a sequence number on at least the 1st and last lines of the profile sequence. Then the cycle is invoked by the canned cycle G-code command that has these start/end numbers as parameters. Other parameters will define the stock size and amount to remove each pass. Then at the end the tool traces the actual path as the finish pass.

This is the way I was taught on a Haas lathe at school, even though we had MasterCam.

I remember enough about G-Code to understand why the machine is moving the way it does, but it would take some time to freehand program again.

I use Dolphin Partmaster for my lathe & it's pretty good. I lucked into an older version w/dongle very cheap...not sure what they get for the latest versions but they do have special pricing at times. I'd have to look at the post processor list but I feel pretty sure they have a Siemens post unless it's something way out of the ordinary.

I use Dolphin Partmaster for my lathe & it's pretty good. I lucked into an older version w/dongle very cheap...not sure what they get for the latest versions but they do have special pricing at times. I'd have to look at the post processor list but I feel pretty sure they have a Siemens post unless it's something way out of the ordinary.

Could you possible check does it have Siemens post processor, and possibly if not make a simple file (like facing operation) and export it as generic G-code? My 808D mill seems to eat gcode from any cam i tried.

I looked on Dolphin's website and found these 2 for a lathe:

Siemens 810T Control on an Ajax lathe - used tool numbers
Siemens 810T Control on an XYZ lathe - used tool descriptions

Not sure if either one will work with my older v10 program (probably not) but I'll try to give it whirl. I took on an emergency job for a neighbor's business over the holiday weekend and will be really crunched for time so it may be a few days.

Hello,

i will await you file, no problem. I allready sent somany e-mails to various CAM developers, and none support 808D.

G-wizard editor owner told me maybe in few months he will add support for Siemens 808D

The only software i found until now is Symturn from German Company and the download seems to go from Kentech. They say it Works, but price is 2200 EUR + need to buy license dongle myself.

No chance to get trial test or anything

Back