Simple Spinning Project A Bowman burner

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fcheslop

Reaction score
Hi
To save taking Bobs post of track I thought a post on spinning may be in order just simply to gather ideas together.
I'm self taught so if you see anything wrong please shout up also I'm not very good at writing projects up that's why I usually keep quite :big:
spinning002.jpg

this is the burner I want to make
spinning004.jpg

and this is my very simple spinning kit
A former and backing disc were machined from alloy
spinning009.jpg

Then a copper disc very roughly cut out and mounted between the former and backing disc
spinning010.jpg

spinning011.jpg

This is the position I intend to start the spinning the idea initially to form a cone tight on the front rad and progressively reducing the angle of the cone until it becomes a tube
spinning014.jpg

spinning015.jpg

spinning016.jpg

At this stage the metal was becoming stiff so it was re annealed
spinning017.jpg

The spoon is used in an arc movement gradually reducing the cones angle until the final push then the metal is formed tight down onto the former in one sweeping movement
spinning020.jpg

then parted to length I find to remove the part from the former simply heat them up until the spun part pops up well usually :big:
spinning022.jpg

Then it was onto the base this was spun in one go as the flange is very short
spinning024.jpg

spinning025.jpg

spinning026.jpg

Do they fit together you bet :big:
spinning027.jpg

These are some of my ongoing projects they all have parts in them made by spinning
spinning028.jpg

Happy spinning
Sorry if this is not to clear lost the whole post aghh .Oh and my lathe well Im a Pommy :big:
spinning030.jpg

best wishes Frazer

Frazer...that is a very nice write-up and some very fine looking parts too. Thanks for posting the pictures which are also very well done!!!

Bill

great post, really informative.
It looks so easy...as shown. I have to try it for my little loco boilers.
Thanks for the lesson
Zephyrin

Thanks again Frazer, :bow: :bow: :bow:

Your pictures have cleared it all up for me.

Best Regards
Bob

This is great stuff! I had to spin some annealed stainless sheet for a gas turbine project, and its easier than it looks.

I pressed a ball bearing onto a shaft to act as the "contact tool." (I'm not even sure what it is called, the thing that applies pressure to the metal.)

Your burners and boilers show great craftsmanship. Thanks for sharing.

Back