Simple Radial

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kustomkb

Project of the Month Winner!!!
Project of the Month Winner
Reaction score
Here is a radial I stumbled across.
PROP.JPG

I say simple because of the construction methods but I think the design is brilliant.I believe air is entering the tube and exiting a slot to reach each cylinder (rotary valve) do you think the exhaust could be recovered and re routed to the intake, I guess that would cause a stall?
http://home.ctlnet.com/~robotguy67/classic_cars/air_engines/V-Twin/air_engines.htm

Simple design, you dont want to use it with steam though. Plastic parts and that clear tubing, not good for heat.

Clear tubing that maybe true, but even cheddar and saito models use flexible plastic tubing for low pressure steam use all the time. also check out crabfu steamworks.

bretk said:
Clear tubing that maybe true, but even cheddar and saito models use flexible plastic tubing for low pressure steam use all the time. also check out crabfu steamworks.

Cheddar never sold a model with flexible plastic tubing , best way to get burnt fingers face etc.. I remember John stopping someone running because they had flexi tubing at there lake

Peter

Silicone tubing is good, I use it sometimes. Its mainly a fuel line for R/c cars, the clear tubing used on this engine I have as well. Good for anything cold, once its heated it will become about 2x its size in diameter.

I know it is called a "steam" engine but how many people with these models actually run them on steam? I'm sure there are a few but the large majority are propable run on compressed air and never see steam.

Jadecy said:
I know it is called a "steam" engine but how many people with these models actually run them on steam? I'm sure there are a few but the large majority are propable run on compressed air and never see steam.

You can make an engine run perfectly on air, but sometimes the "air" engine just wont run on steam.

Ranger,

Most of your Simplex engines will run fine on either air or steam. Compound engines with high and low pressure cylinders that use the expansion of steam will not run without some modifications on air.

Brian

What a fantastic sight, great thinking to create these engines and boy don't they have some torque. Splendid, well done.

Malcolm

te_gui said:
Ranger,

Most of your Simplex engines will run fine on either air or steam. Compound engines with high and low pressure cylinders that use the expansion of steam will not run without some modifications on air.

Brian

hence the sometimes ;D

Latest posts

Back