Simple?? pump.

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Good day all,
Back in the day I recall using these pumps which consist of a disk which spins between the poles of an AC C shaped coil(s) The disc was on a shaft which drove one or two reciprocal pumps. Anyone with details of these please?

Like this?

en712a.jpg

http://www.sonik-systems.com/pumps/

Look for "Hy-Flo" pumps

(There's a picture and a link in my earlier reply, but it is awaiting moderation)

Hi Guys,

HY-Flo aquarium air pumps. They use an "Eddy Current" motor.
Basically an aluminum disc driven by the AC field from a transformer.
All the old electricity meters used this principle.

Thanks guys, still not sure about the electrics. my intention is to build one of these.

Nothing difficult about it ! An aluminum or copper disc laid very close to the top or side of a transformer. No electrical contact with the moving parts at all. In fact if you salvage a couple of similar transformers you could chop off the low voltage wires and copy the mechanical layout shown in the picture.

If you look at the picture above the transformer is in two parts one on each side of the disc.

Thanks to all. It looks like sufficient info and links to get me started on my copy / homage.
Jim from sunny NE England

Hi there Baron, my home" home is Redcar and my away" home is Berwick. Where are you?

Hi, As it says under my avatar. York, North Yorkshire.
Redcar is not too far away, though it is some years since I visited.

You can add a location in your Account Details, that can be seen next to your posts.

If you want any help sorting out suitable transformers let me know. I keep throwing them out but they seem to breed :eek:

Hi there Baron, my home" home is Redcar and my away" home is Berwick. Where are you?
Not far from me, we often head to Maske on an evening when the tides right for fossil hunting.

An interesting little pump, would be ideal for testing steam engines.
Jon

Latest posts

Back