Simple mill threading tool

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi,
I thought I would show you how I did a simple threading too for my milling machine. Probably not the first doing this, but at least I haven't see this method in use.
The nice thing about it is that you can use it for all types and sizes of taps and you have grate control over the process. It's easy to set up when you are doing all operations on a hole before you move the X and Y axis to the next hole. If you need more force on large taps you can put a bar in the holes in the chuck. It's fast and fun to use.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iH2r45eoeTM[/ame]

Excellent ! Now i have a use for some old chucks that i have laying around !
I have never seen that idea before !

Glad you liked it :)
Used it many times today and I really like it.
Maybe I will make several more cone adapters to fit the most used tapping size drils. That way I don't have to change tools to tap.

Glad you liked it :)
Used it many times today and I really like it.
Maybe I will make several more cone adapters to fit the most used tapping size drils. That way I don't have to change tools to tap.

Why did i not think of that? great idea Rudy, thanks for sharing

I have the same system on my lathe using a chuck with a straight shank and a bushing held by another chuck in the tailstock.

The simple ideas are the most useful !
Dan

i like this as well. another tool to use. i too have 3 or 4 of these chucks not doing anything and it can be adapted right over to the drill press as well.

I graduated(?) to a George Thomas Universal Pillar Tool( see his book 'Workshop Techniques' and this does rather more things like drilling, staking, riveting, and tapping. Mine is now graduated- if you get the point. You do things like this by degrees:hDe:

So simple, yet so effective.
My list of things to make is getting longer and longer, I'm shortly going to need a loan from the bank for stock 😂

Back