Simple DIY dividing head

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

srobovak

Project of the Month Winner
Reaction score
Hi HMEM,

Since I started machining I have some strange crush on dividing mechanisms... For my "snöffy" engine project I bought a small Vertex copy of 110 mm dividing head, mainly to use for cam-milling.
However, even before buying this commercial product I'd bought a great book called "DIVIDING". It explains everything you need to know and has some good designs for shop made apparatus.
I built my variation of the simplest one in the book using some aluminum scrap and leftover ER11 spindle I had lying around.

It can be use in 2 modes:

1) Simple dividing head:
2,3,4,6,12 divisions are possible. Mostly used for milling grip-knobs / thumb-screws and similar, but
can also be used to grind specialty cutters if combined with some sort of tool-and-cutter grinder.

2) Turn table:
This one I mainly use for grinding cylindrical stuff like punches and small centers.

It is quite sturdy and by using bronze plain bearings I achieved virtually no play. I had modified it couple of times as I went along. The reason I'm posting this is to encourage anyone who's looking for some cool shop project. It finds its regular use in my shop.
If I had to do it again I would build a bigger version using something like ER20 spindle.

Till next time,

Branislav

Attachments

• dividing.jpg
    dividing.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 422
  • DH_01.jpg
    DH_01.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 378
  • DH_02.jpg
    DH_02.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 456