Simple Air/Steam engine design

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cogsy

Reaction score
I found this simple design for an engine in this youtube video - around the 1:15 mark it is shown and explained. I haven't seen a design like this before and it impressed me with it's simplicity. Does anyone know of any plans for such an engine or will this have to be my first "own design"?

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P1-UTlnjeVg[/ame]

Looking forward to your " own design". Cogsy. The parameters of the spring seem crucial

Thanks John, that is exactly what I was hoping for. From the looks it'll be a simple, quick and fun build one weekend.

Al,

I have now found his plans in my archive after a good hours search.

DK went on to produce many cheapo and easy to make engines, even a 5 cylinder rotary made mainly from hobby shop brass tubing and of course his lovely little hit & miss engine.

If you need any more to be going on with, just let me know.

John

Last edited:
I've known of this type of engine (CO2 engine) for a while. The addition of the spring is new to me.

...Ved.

Thanks John, I'll keep that in mind. I'm liking the idea of some small, fast projects so I can produce a result occasionally, to break up the long, complex builds. I'll give this one a go (hopefully soon) and see how it goes. A nice fleet of simple engines is appealing too.

Al,

There are a few more engines that are just as easy and quick to make than these, what I call 'poppet' engines.
This other type rely on using the crankshaft to control the inlet/exhaust.

David Kerzel to the rescue again with the first of his 'Tube engines'. These types of engines should easily be able to be made by a beginner with basic tooling. I think he went up to 5 cylinders with this design.

I made a very similar engine many years ago that produced a lovely little runner called 'The Triffid', a machined engine, but was fully controllable based on the above basic design.

John

View attachment Tube 1.pdf

With CO gas, it will run better due expansion properties in CO is better than air. With a large CO engine will not run long time due high consumption. I can remember the CO engine had the cylinder bore about 5 mm and stroke about 7-8 mm and ran with a large propeller. The cylinder was made of steel sleeve with plastic cooling fins (no really to cool the engine, in fact keep engine warm due CO gas expansion) and the piston of soft plast with flexible "lip" on top of piston to keep tight around the cylinder.

These tiny engines are fantastic! I can see myself getting addicted. I'm definitely starting a collection. Thanks guys.

I think the tube engine looks like the best place to start. I'll print out the plans and keep them in the shed for when I have a few hours here and there.

Last edited:
Back