Silver solder source

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blackfoxsteam

Reaction score
Could someone recommend a source for silver solder and flux. My old supply is nearly gone.

McMahon steel on Brighton rd Somerton pk has a good supply.

McMaster-Carr sells a huge variety, with and without Cd.

Could someone recommend a source for silver solder and flux. My old supply is nearly gone.

Rio Grande (a jeweler's supply company) normally sells three temperature grades and appropriate fluxes, in both stick and chip form. Most hobby jewelry supply stores -ditto lapidary- also carry it in retail quantities (the welding supply guys are likely to want to sell you more than you need). Harris Metals is a good brand.

I was under the impression that all silver solders sold now had to be Cd free?

My understanding is that cadmium is banned in Euro-union countries (with some special exceptions for defense, etc.), but not (yet) in the US. It may be that it will be phased out in the US as well since safer substitutes are available.

People who are inclined to "stock up" on cadmium containing solder may want to consider adjusting to the cadmium-free solder instead. I know that many people say that the cadmium-free solders do not work as well as the cadmium containing solder, but I suspect that very often people are trying to use the new solders in the same way as the old ones, rather than making changes the new solders require.

As a practical matter, you can do pretty much whatever you want in your home shop, but what is your health worth to you? We all have to be our own "inspectors" when it comes to shop safety.

My understanding is that cadmium is banned in Euro-union countries (with some special exceptions for defense, etc.), but not (yet) in the US. It may be that it will be phased out in the US as well since safer substitutes are available.

Thats right, since some time in 2014 it is illegal in the EU to manufacture, sell or use in commercial/industrial environment Cd-containing solder.
Of course everyone can use it in his homeshop on his own risk.

There are only few exceptions if no alternative exists and there is no risk to humans, eg. robots are doing the soldering.

Mike

Of course, you are quite right. However, as far as anyone can ascertain, there are NO cases of cadmium poisoning in the people in 'home workshops'. On a slightly related topic, I have been trying to buy borax in both the UK and Spain. Borx is is an excellent flux for silver soldering and mixed with sugar a wonderful killer of cockroaches. I have a Spanish villa which had a septic tank but when it was joined to the main drainage- we got someone else's cockroaches.

No chemist would supply me - until I have now found that it is available for laundry applications.
The World is going mad!

So I went out to a welding supply firm and bought 'something' as a substitute. It was a mixture of borax and potassium perchlorate- both are supposed to be killers.

I repeat, the World is going mad! I'm glad that I'm 85 and that my days are numbered- but not really influenced by - little men in power!

Norman

So I went out to a welding supply firm and bought 'something' as a substitute. It was a mixture of borax and potassium perchlorate- both are supposed to be killers.

I repeat, the World is going mad! I'm glad that I'm 85 and that my days are numbered- but not really influenced by - little men in power!

Norman

Agree the idiots are running the asylum. Borax (sodium tetraborate) is about as safe a chemical as one can find. In addition to being a common washing aid, it's often used as an insect poison (they eat it and suffer a plugged gut) so that's another source. I've found that if one looks at the grocery, hardware, or farm store one can often find these dangerous materials quite cheaply. Trying to buy them from a pharmacy is hopeless. Fortunately, here in the US there are quite a number of lab supply companies who will cheerfully sell practically anything to individual, though the pricing is sometimes breathtaking.

I do wonder about the borax perchlorate mixture. Perchlorate is indeed a bit of a concern, as it's a good oxidizer and has some biological activity (interferes with iodine uptake, for example). Usually borax is combined with a chloride (sometimes fluoride, or nitrate) in mixed fluxes.

For those in the US, this is a good source of fluxes:
http://piehtoolco.com/contents/en-us/d626.html

Amy Pieh's father founded Centaur Forge, and Amy has continued his tradition of suppling the forge and farrier industry.

Most interesting! Thank you for extending my limited knowledge.

I was musing about your comment about a farrier industry in the US. My father was a farrier blacksmith whilst my wife was a consultant orthodontist( amongst other things) and was quite a dab hand at stainless steel welding and manipulation( amongst other things).

Me, well? Suffice to say that I have just been doing a spot of silver soldering because it still ends up with having to make specials- that cannot be bought or at stupid prices.

My thanks and regards.

Oh, I have started to MIG weld again- after a lay off of 30 years!

Norman

Back