Silver Bullet

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Michael

With regard to the sensors, I thought some body fixed that problem years ago, I think it was something to do with the kickback from the High voltage breakdown, if memory serves here, I think it was solved with a protection diode in the system some where but at the time was not so well and can't remember properly.
Mark

Thanks Mark
I did read something about using zener diodes in line with the sensor but it did not give a good expenation of wether to put them on the positive and negative wires of the sensor or just the posative or maybe one on all 3 wires.

May have to do trial and error

Michael

No, not a zenner, a zenner diode is to drop a set voltage down below a required voltage and you have to know the formula to value the resistor that is in series with it, in this case, try looking at an ordinary coil circuit, that must have a diode across the feed wires that control the coil, when a voltage is applied the switching action occurs, problem is when the voltage is removed a massive back current is sent down the wire and that is damaging and could be what is happening in your case, a simple 1n4003 silicon diode might just be your answer, its an electronic equivalent to an old clack valve
Mark

Reactions: gus
Michael

With regard to the sensors, I thought some body fixed that problem years ago, I think it was something to do with the kickback from the High voltage breakdown, if memory serves here, I think it was solved with a protection diode in the system some where but at the time was not so well and can't remember properly.
Mark

Thanks Mark

See if I can figure it out

That is correct. There is high voltage kickback.

A zenner diode across the sensor to "clamp the voltage" to a constant level will protect against the spikes.

The zenner value needs to match the voltage of the power supply.

For Example, 6 Volts = 6 V Zenner. 12 Volts = 12 V Zenner

You can also do this with a Diode and resistor in series, like another gentleman suggested, but the clamping diode is easier.

That is correct. There is high voltage kickback.

A zenner diode across the sensor to "clamp the voltage" to a constant level will protect against the spikes.

The zenner value needs to match the voltage of the power supply.

For Example, 6 Volts = 6 V Zenner. 12 Volts = 12 V Zenner

You can also do this with a Diode and resistor in series, like another gentleman suggested, but the clamping diode is easier.

Thank you for your reply and help

Michael

Hi Michael
Thats a great looking engine
I too had a problem with hall sensors burning out after just a few minutes, it was solved by fitting a OHO90U sensor, since then I havent had a single burn out
They were unavailable here in Scotland so I had to get them from the US
Check out the thread on here by jgeddes,"a new ignition circuit"
Hope this helps
Dougie

Smooth, good looking runner that will only get better as you run it I'm sure.
Nicely done.
Charlie

Hi Michael!
Congratulations! Very nice looking engine, seems to be very well constructed.
The sound is very nice. After finishing my actual engine building, I also will start on the PeeWee V4. I already have the casting for that.

Looking forward to follow your PeeWee construction.

Edi

Congrats. Beautiful engine and the display case sets it off nicely'

Ron

Back