Silver Bullet vs Hercules

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave G

Reaction score
Since the subject of building Bob Shores Silver Bullet has come up I was thinking of something that may be of interest. If this has been brought up before, forgive me. I don't remember if I got this from Bob himself, I did get to meet him and talk to him on a few occations or if I read it somewhere but he said that he designed the hercules for smaller machines as it is slightly smaller in size from the Silver Bullet but one of the things he changed in the Hercules was that he changed the exhaust port to the other side. The valves are offset in the head and Bob designed the Silver bullet with the exhaust port crossing the wider side of the head creating more heat in the head. When he designed the Hercules he used the narrower side of the head for the exhaust port. I built my Silver Bullet to Bob's original design but if I were to build another I would switch the ports side to side like the Hercules to help with cooling. When I am asked at shows about my Silver Bullet and someone wants to build one I try to recommend the Hercules instead for this reason.
I met Bob Shores at the 2000 Names expo in Michigan and bought my castings then. This was his first show with the new engine and he sold out quick. I also bought his ignition book and he signed it for me as he did for everyone. I had my son with me and he was about 14 years old at the time and as I was talking to Bob, Bob went into this speach to my son about women. He told my son to stay away from them, that they were nothing but trouble and if he could do without one he would be better off in life. But of course, Bob's wife was sitting there the whole time rolling her eyes. As we walked away from the table when we had finished our time there I happened to open Bob's book and on the the first page he had dedicated his book to his wife. Dave

Back