Sieg X3

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lugnut

Reaction score
I'm about a "Click" away from ordering a Sieg X3 milling machine. It will be from Grizzly. Have not decided if to buy the Super X ( G0619) or the plain Jane one (G0463). My question is, who among you have either and what is your "goods" and "bads" on these machines?
I will be upgrading from a Grizzle mini mill-MT3 machine to a R-8 so I will have to invest in some tooling but think the move will be to the better.
Will enjoy and welcome your responses.
Mel

I have owned an X3 (G0463) for about 6 months now. I like it a lot. It was an upgrade from a minimill and the extra 250 lb of mass makes a significant difference. I'd recommend it to anyone BUT be aware that the R8 spindle issue is not completely fixed. About half of the R8 tooling I used on the minimill doesn't fit in the spindle of the X3 :'( :'( :'(. This is due to the fact that the spindle is machined on the tight side of specs. I did the Grizzly recommended fix - file down the registration nub - until I almost eliminated it but some tooling still won't fit :mad: :mad:. Grizzly did send a replacement spindle but it was even worse. So just be aware that this machine may require a little tweaking to make it work. I'm still reluctant to buy any additional R8 tooling for it unless I can get a guarantee for a refund if it doesn't fit. IMO This is a issue that Grizzly should address and fix at the source because it diminishes the value of an otherwise great machine for its price.

Cheers,
Phil

I own the Super x3 version and I love the thing. I've been running it for about a month now and I couldn't be happier. I've not encountered the problem Philjoe has noted, but mine is also a later release so it could have been addressed.

I just finished making some cuts with a 1/2 radius router bit and it performed quite well. As Philjoe noted, that extra mass makes a huge difference in performance over the mini-mill.

If you can swing it for the X3 power feed accessory , you won't regret it.

Steve

I have the Super X3 (0619) with the power feed and am totally impressed with the little rascal. Have been using it for 6 months and have not experienced any problems. I think that you would like it.

Andy

oh just a quick one things are slowly rolling with loads of problems and the manual doesn't help much but right now i want to get the lathe stand up for leveling but my grandad seems to think that placing the lathe on just steel plate is a bad idea and that it will walk with any vibration. is this a bad idea or can i just go for it and put the stand up?

Back