Sieg SX2 or SX2.7

Help Support HMEM:

Nikhil Bhale

Reaction score
I know this is an old topic discussed in hundreds of forums but I am posting it anyways.
I just got myself unmachined kits from PM research for #1 and #5 steam engines. I have a Sieg C4 lathe but I may need a mill to complete these engines.
So the question is which one is preferable Sieg SX2 or SX2.7 ?
SX2 is selling for about USD 1000 and SX2.7 for USD 2000 here in India. I need a machine that will work out of the box and not need any mods.
I also considered some Indian mills and now it has become truly confusing.
https://ravimachines.com/product/drilling-cum-milling-machine-19mm/ about USD 650 or
https://ravimachines.com/product/drilling-cum-milling-machine-25mm/ about USD 800 or
https://ravimachines.com/product/zay7020g-column-type-geared-drive-fine-feed/ about USD 1900

Any advise or opinion appreciated.
P.S. I have to move the machine to my spare room on first floor so weight of machine is definetly an issue.

Thanks
Regards
Nikhil

bazmak

BAZMAK
HMEM Supporter
Reaction score
I have the sx2 long table and it does everything i have ever wanted.It will work out of the box but i have done mods.Gas strut etc
I bought the fixed column the swivel coumn is a nightmare to tram i understand.I got r8 spindle.The sieg 2.7 is a bigger beast
so in your situation is far too heavy

awake

HMEM Supporter
Reaction score
Nikhil, the trade-off is going to be capacity vs. weight vs. cost. With mills, the capacity is not just the size and motion of the table, but also the maximum distance between the table and the spindle - you can eat up that space very quickly with a drill chuck, drill, vise, and part. That may mean, with a smaller machine, creative ways of holding the drill bits and/ or parts!

The good news on all of these Sieg type machines is the dovetail column, allowing you to move the head up and down without losing position on the X and Y - something you almost always have to do when moving between endmills and drill bits. I have an ancient mill-drill with a round column (not the typical Rong-Fu style - even more primitive than that!), and it requires a lot of extra effort to manage.

I wasn't able to access the links you had to the Indian machines, but would be curious to see what is available.

Where in India are you? I've only been to India once, down in the South (Kerala) for a couple of weeks - I thoroughly enjoyed it. Since most of my childhood was in Southeast Asia, it felt very much like home to me! But I would love to visit more of the country ... maybe someday ...

blanik

Reaction score
I have had a Sieg SX2.7 for about three years now. Out of the box, it needed a good cleaning to get the sticky anti-rust grease cleaned off, and then a thorough lubrication of all of the sliding surfaces and the lead screws.. Also, all of the gibs needed to be adjusted, as the gibs were all loose for shipment. The gibs are all of the tapered gib design, so adjustment is quick and easy - just one slot headed screw at each end of each gib. The lead screw nuts all have anti-backlash adjustments, but none needed adjusting on delivery.

The Column Base and the Head are not adjustable (easily) - the machine is trammed at the factory and then locking pins are installed to ensure the machine can be reassembled back into a trammed state if you ever have to completely disassemble it. So, in simple terms, the SX-2.7 is trammed at the factory and is not designed to be tram adjusted in use. I check the tram state of my mill every few months, and the mill has shown no sign of going out of tram so far. Should the base of the column ever need to be adjusted to correct a tram error, you would need to shim the column base.

I have made two modifications to my SX-2.7. Mod 1 was to install an X Axis Power Feed (https://www.ausee.com.au/shop/item.aspx?itemid=3884). Sieg's power feed is OK. It certainly beats hand cranking the X Axis for long periods. The use of the Power Feed also greatly improves the surface finish. My only issue with Sieg's power feed is that at it's slowest feed rate, it is still too fast for use with a 100mm Fly Cutter.

The Second modification I made to the SX-2.7 was to install a Two Axis DRO. A very useful addition to the mill.

I have a third mod which is currently a work-in-progress. That is the addition of a second "High Speed" spindle. The spindle is a 2000 rpm to 25,000 rpm unit (a 3 phase motor driven by a single phase to three phase variable speed controller) that I intend to use with small (typically under 2mm diameter) end mills, for milling of mainly brass components of clocks and other small items.

Once you've unpacked the mill, it weighs 101 Kg fully assembled. Two people can manage to lift the mill OK. But DO NOT let anyone lift the mill by lifting on the mill's table. You could remove the mill table and the mechanism beneath the table to reduce the weight of the mill so you can carry it up the stairs more easily, but by doing that you'll only reduce the weight by maybe 20 kg. I don't recommend removing the mill head to reduce the weight, as reinstalling and tramming the head is not a trivial task.

I hope that information has been useful.

Regards,

RoyG

Nikhil Bhale

Reaction score
Thank you all for your suggestions.
@awake I live in central part India. Its mostly hot and dry, not much tourists, though we have some tiger reserves here.
@blanik I was thinking the same thing. Remove the column and then it will be easier to get it to my room. But I will have to rethink it.
@bazmak SX2 i am offered is the basic version.

Latest posts