Side Milling

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dicej32

Reaction score
I'm having a tough time getting a decent finish when side milling. By this I mean when you take say a 3"x3"x.25" aluminum plate and set it in the vise flat. You then use your x axis to move the stock sideways against the side of the mill bit. I always end up with a ridged finish. If i set the stock vertically on it's side and use the end of the mill, the finish is smooth and shiny. Any recommendations?

Thanks,

Jenaro

Jenaro
There are several possible issues that can cause a poor finish when milling with the side of an end mill.
The biggest is the direction of feed. I prefer "climb milling" myself. That would be feeding the stock into the
cutter contact side rotating in the same direction as the direction of feed.

Here's a link to a page with better information. Union Butterfield End Mill Applications

Rick

Right, wrong, or indifferent, this is what I do when side milling. I will mill the edge with the cutter going in both directions; in other words I cut on each direction of travel. Be conservative with the amount of cut when climb millling. When I get close to my intended measurement (or just a smooth edge), I will then take a few thousandths off by climb milling as Rake has described. This typically yelds a smooth finish.

One thing I have noticed that really makes a difference for me is the speed and feed. I have to admit that I am one that doesn't figure optimum speeds and feeds for each cut, but then again I am not building parts for the Space Shuttle, either. But this is one instance that it really makes a better finish for me.

The cutter has made differences for me as well. I have both chi-com and US made cutters, and for side milling edges where the finish counts, I will use the US made cutters as they have produced better results for me. This may be dumb luck, but it has seemed to remain a constant in my shop for this operation.

Assuming you aren't using a roughing end mill ;), note that an end mill bends a little bit on side-cuts, whereas on end-cuts, it doesn't.

Try taking a "zero cut" otherwise known as a spring pass. I usually do this after my finish dimension is reached to get a better finish. Usually in climb mill mode. It will usually only remove a tenth of a thousandth or two.

Hope this helps,
Frank

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll try the very light finishing touch in the climb direction. Also I'm going to try snugging up the gibs.

Jenaro

Back