Shriner parade car

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stevehuckss396

Model Engineer
Project of the Month Winner
HMEM Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello Gents. Been a long time since i have had anything to show. I have been working on a pair of Hodgson 9 cylinder engines. Kind of burnt out and need a detour from them so I started working on some Shriner cars. I bought them thinking the grand kids would have fun driving them some day. Well they looked them over and decided they cant wait until they can reach the pedals to go for a ride so they gave grampa the pouty faces and away we go.

The first was a Crue-Cut Firefighter. Made early 80's its right around 40 years old. It came home a complete car in running condition. We did a complete tear down and rebuild. Anything that was worn out was replaced and everything was painted. It's a real good car. 3hp engine can easily pull 3 wagons with the 3 grand daughters with little effort.

12258.jpeg

The second car is a Uccellini. Built in the early 70's it is almost 50 years old. This one was in real bad shape. It was also given the same treatment. Noticed the engine was electric start. We installed a battery and a few feet of wire. This car got a kill switch, push button start, head lights, tail lights, brake lights, emergency flashers, and a siren.

12254.jpeg

Got caught driving them on the public roads. Didn't get a ticket!

12256.jpeg

The third car is a Crue-Cut. It was also built in 1974. Again gaining on 50 years. This one was in bad condition also. After the rebuild a boom was built so the car is now a tow truck. There were T-10's built buy the Mfg's but they were not capable of towing another car. Mine has been tested and had no problem.

20221019_122805.jpg

20221020_123027.jpg

Now I told you all that to tell you this, I was told to not buy any more cars because we are out of room. True statement!. Didn't say I couldnt build one. So the tow truck was completely taken apart and measured. Only takes me about an hour to completely tear one apart and an hour and a half to rebuild it. Started about 2 weeks ago. Once done it will comply with the rules as I didn't buy it and should fit somewhere.

The frame is a little over 18 inches long and 9 inches wide making it 1/3rd scale.

20221119_143553.jpg

20221119_143603.jpg

Next up are the controls. The straight handle is the brakes. Pull up on the handle and two rods drag on the tires to slow you down. Pull all the way up and the handle stays and acts as a parking brake. The bent handle is held centered by a spring. Push down and the belt tensions and the car rolls forward. Pull back and the transmission moves back and a disk makes contact with the engine pulley. The friction drives the disk in the reverse direction to move the car backward.

This was finished yesterday. Plan is to make the front axle parts next and ill get some photos when complete.

20221127_133817.jpg
20221127_133826.jpg
20221127_133850.jpg

Very very cool !! 👍
I will be following the "Model" build but those Shriners cars are really neat. I really liked the group shot with the local constabulary. :)

Thanks for sharing ! Some parade shots next summer would be appreciated :)

Scott

I remember seeing these in another post & wanted to ask you about them, thanks for starting the new thread! Those are really nice! I'd be curious to see more about the friction drive if you have any pictures.

I recently repaired our snow thrower, replaced belts, bearings, ETC. & that operates on a friction drive, I was very surprised to see how simple an arrangement it is. 6 speeds forward & 2 reverse, all on a friction wheel. Pretty genius. There has been very few times when it stopped moving forward.

Great work Steve, the kiddos's gotta love that!

John

I remember seeing these in another post & wanted to ask you about them, thanks for starting the new thread! Those are really nice! I'd be curious to see more about the friction drive if you have any pictures.

I recently repaired our snow thrower, replaced belts, bearings, ETC. & that operates on a friction drive, I was very surprised to see how simple an arrangement it is. 6 speeds forward & 2 reverse, all on a friction wheel. Pretty genius. There has been very few times when it stopped moving forward.

Great work Steve, the kiddos's gotta love that!

John

Only reverse works on friction. Forward is belt driven

20221127_214829.jpg

Yes. I use corian for fixturing alot. I bought a big box years ago works great and is cheaper than aluminum. Nice and rigid and machines and takes a thread pretty good if only making 10-15 parts. Any more than that and the threads fatigue. If the fixture is for repeated use I then use steel or aluminum.

Yesterday I managed to complete the spindles and linkage for the front end. Today I'm going to start on shrinking down the transmission.

The first cars were built by McDonough Mfg who made lawn care equipment. They were built to be promotional items for raffles and giveaways. Parts from there mowers were used like the drive system. They made a mower that had a cover on it that made it look like a turtle. The mower was eventually called the snapping turtle. The company eventually changed its name to Snapper.

20221205_102004.jpg
20221205_121808.jpg
20221205_121834.jpg

Fantasitc work as usual Steve. I love your whimsical ideas. As if the small cars weren't enough - lets make a tiny 1/3 scale version. I assume to be powered by your scale Briggs?
Too small for kids to drive? Or maybe it will be remote controlled?
Too bad there is no NAMES. I would have expected to see you putting it around the arena.
Great stuff.
Thanks

Latest posts

Back