Show us your lathe

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hitandmissman

Reaction score
Ok thought it was time to show ya all what I use, or try to use I should say. Hope the pics post ok. I have serveral projects started but can't seem to get any finished. One of these days.

Moms truck-1 007.JPG

Moms truck-1 008.JPG

Moms truck-1 009.JPG

Oh, and by the way those pics show up as moms truck because this 61 yr old dummy had the pics in the better halves folder. :big:

Well, not sure if this is going to work but here is my little lathe.

I really haven't had to do too much to it other than lap the gibs and tighten everything up. I made a hand crank for the right end of the lead screw and a chip guard for the apron gears and am quite pleased with both. I do have a small ammount of taper (about 0.001 every 2 inches) but I feel that if I tinker around with it I will just make it worse. So far it has not been an issue.

Now my mill on the other hand......that's a story in and of itself!

2009_0516machines0011.JPG

2009_0516machines0012.JPG

Just got the new purchase settled in to the shed. :big:

Bought it off a workmate for $1400 AU, very little use as it was his brass/ali lathe. He has two more lathes he uses for other metals. (now there's a nice concept ;D)
Its a RATRA RA-10 , made in Taiwan in 1981.
Does anyone know of the brand? I did a Poodle search but came up with zip information. ???

Hoisted it up on the carport to drop it off the tailor, then fitted some old cement mixer wheels and maneuvered it into the shed. The final step was to fit a Danfoss VFD so that I could run the 3 phase motor off a single phase supply and have variable speed as well.

Any info on the lathe or its current derivatives would be very welcome.

Edit 11/6/2009: I discovered that the lathe is a SHUN SHIN SSB-10BS. The size is quoted as a 12" X 23"

Cheers
Phil

P1050873.JPG

P1050875.JPG

P1050883.JPG

P1050884.JPG

Here's my latest toy. Hercus Compulathe. Made in Australia. Very well made lathe. The controls were shot so I am replacing the control. Went ahead and replaced the old DC brush servos with new Mitsubishi brushless servos. The machine is about 85% done now. Waiting to get paid to get a motherboard and breakout boards.

3474692749_e665170d91_b.jpg

Macona,

Yes, Hercus make very nice lathes, congratulations on your purchase. :bow: :bow: The factory is about 10 km from me. I am afraid they are beyond my modest budget.

Best Regards
Bob

Here is some pics of one of the 7X10 mini lathe that I have, got it at a yard sale, found me a motor off e-bay so when it came in I took the lathe all apart cleaned, made some bushings where needed, intalled a bearing on the compound and painted, looked on the shelf, had some Ford Blue and Sun Burst Yellow, just what I needed another lathe, wife comments, sure that was a compliment, Lathe Nut
beforepaint.jpg

Repaint1.jpg

repaint4.jpg

sportandmiah said:
Bought my first lathe 2 weeks ago and love it!

Very nice - Enjoy :bow:

lathe nut said:
Here is some pics of one of the 7X10 mini lathe that I have, got it at a yard sale, found me a motor off e-bay so when it came in I took the lathe all apart cleaned, made some bushings where needed, intalled a bearing on the compound and painted, looked on the shelf, had some Ford Blue and Sun Burst Yellow, just what I needed another lathe, wife comments, sure that was a compliment, Lathe Nut

Nice restoration job. :bow:

Best Regards
Bob

Well then heres mine

needs work the slide are loose as its 300mm between centres

unknown brand but would like to find out and maybe a 4 jaw chuck for it

it only cost $126.00 but will do till I can aford a bit better/bigger one

Wayne

lathe2.jpg

lathe3.jpg

Hello Wayne

Well to me your lathe looks as it is an EMCO Compact5 - a very fine quality bench lathe, so I believe $126 is a good buy

Here is my lathe and mill:
P1010332.jpg

P1010333.jpg

Still learning not to make scrap and making slow headway but loving every minute of it!

Just got this three year old 9x20 Monday. It had never been lubed or adjusted and had only been used a couple of hours.

100_3984.jpg

Lubed all the bushings, repacked the spindle bearings and adjusted the belts.

Kenny

Sportandmiah, hope you will enjoy your Sherline...mine has 10 good years on it and still going strong. Same for the mill. Mine doesn't look quite as new or clean as yours though :big: Have fun with it.

Bill

I have a Ratra lathe, eecently acquired, the back gears are missing, any idea where to get parts for it?

Bought me another 12 Craftsman with quick change box 54' bed, got it off the table got that painted and into to the new shop which is the storage room on the of the carport, my wife decided that I needed an Air Conditioned and warm place in the winter, will post a pic of it here is the table I added some five inch caster with leveling jacks, got the lathe apart now, the heat has almost put the cleaning to a stand still, I made the forks to move the lathe, of course for other things also and will use the stinger on the front of the tractor to go though the double doors into the MMS (Mini Machine Shop) which is not open for business pleasure only, so here they are, by the was got ever tool that could be had for it only missing the follow rest, neat old tool post grinder, Lathe Nut
[/ATTACH]

Attachments

• lathe on wagon.jpg
    lathe on wagon.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 595
  • LT on Forks.jpg
    LT on Forks.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 553
Back