Show Us Your Lathe

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nice score Steve!

Mine is very similar, made in Taiwan, it's worked well for me.

shop%2520108.jpg

Here are some pretty heavy cuts in aluminum nickel bronze;

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rP4GZWUEJ3E[/ame]

steamer said:
The chuck mounts on the 7 degree 7.5 minute taper and when you pull it home.

It's been awhile since I've seen that angle in print.
We used to cut a taper on a roller path for dragline circle that was 7 degrees, 7 minutes, 30 seconds.

Do the trigonometry on that angle. The tangent is an almost perfect 1/8 inch per foot taper.
How original! :D

Rick

Cheers Mike, decaf, well I try to keep a good pace.

Steve, the DRO came from work, it had a chip in the glass on the cross slide, where it would skip and lose count. It was outside of the travel of my lathe so I saved it from the scrap bin when we got a new one. After disassembly and cleaning it turned out to be a metal chip ;-) Oh well at least all the dro's at work match now.

I don't have any pictures, but I'll take some. I was very pleasantly surprised at how tough the casting was to drill.

The lathe has not seen much action lately. I have been doing home renovations and with our second child due in August, the clock is ticking...

Here are the DRO pics;

Both mount on dovetail brackets which are installed with counter bored/countersunk screws after shimming and dialing them in. The scales themselves slide in and are nipped in place with set-screws.

DRO%2520010.jpg
DRO%2520006.jpg

DRO%2520002.jpg

DRO%2520003.jpg

Don't forget the stop to prevent damage;

DRO%2520011.jpg

And the gravity fed, cable return, pulley system;

DRO%2520013.jpg

Have fun!

Mine, at about six tonnes, is such a delicate little thing. :)

g3.jpg

It's got a magnetic XY sensor system on it though, so I can put the cutting tool back to within 0.001" quite accurately.

That Clausing is a beaut!

Mine is a Myford Super 7,made in 1973.
It came with a Norton gearbox.

8366124spb.jpg

8366125jup.jpg

I bought this British beauty in 2009.
Over the last two years I did some modifications to it,making it even more handy
than it has been anyway.

Axa QCTP and a rear toolpost:

7096373cxx.jpg

SINO DRO:

6088819.jpg

6088821.jpg

I really love that lathe and it´s so sad that the Myford Company is now history.

Cheers,Ralph

Hello Ralph was wondering how much better(more ridged) your new 40 position tool post compares to the old style myford ?

also what are the inherent advantages? myford style? etc...

Thanks

Lawrence

I am a rank beginner with just a Sieg C2 7x12 and an X2 mill, but I am very impressed with the range of beautiful machinery shown here.

But, eat your heart out!!
Has anybody seen a Hebrug??
This is a Hebrug DR1 11x30 precision toolmakers lathe from Holland.
I was offered for free if I could take it away, but alas there was no way I could get it into my basement workshop. A friend bought it for $250 and moved it by lowloader.

Lathe 017.jpg

I joined this site after spending a few hours looking through this post and all the amazing lathes you folks own. I rebuilt a 1945 SB 9B, the color won't be everyone's cup of tea but I like it. :)

When I get a few spare minutes I'll post a proper introduction.

Shawn

1344368239519.jpg

I also have a 1932 Atlas 9" awaiting restoration.

1344440276279.jpg

And what started it all for me, a little Unimat 3

1344440428838.jpg

Hi,

so, here is my contribution to this murderthread, nothing too exciting though I'm afraid :(

My first one was a proxxon pd 360, a popular brand for small precision lathes in germany. Followed by a myford super 7 with extra long bed (makes a good rest for the tailstock ;) )

cheers
christoph

pd_360.jpg

super_7_2.jpg

super_7_1.jpg

super_7.jpg

Ok guys been waiting for this to show up..Imported from the UK...and what a mess with customs etc...I would never ship slow boat over the pond again!! ..but the good new is I love this lathe ...

If anyone is interested in knowing ...this Lathe will do ALMOST everything you could ever want...It will take heavy cuts without complaint...next up is to add a VFD! :eek:

aw2smt.jpg

2llnf4k.jpg

304 stainless bolt heavy cuts .100 diam
2qiy1ye.jpg

o8hso4.jpg

9ivfk1.jpg

Hi,

so, here is my contribution to this murderthread, nothing too exciting though I'm afraid :(

My first one was a proxxon pd 360, a popular brand for small precision lathes in germany. Followed by a myford super 7 with extra long bed (makes a good rest for the tailstock ;) )

cheers
christoph

Excellent!

Comparing the Emco to a shoptask is like comparing a BMW Motorcycle to a little chinese scooter.

Heres a pic of my toy... Just finished going through her.

For those who dont know its a Monarch 10EE

DSC03137.jpg

One thing you have to remember in comparing your Monarch to any of the current small machines from China, is that your machine was built during WW II when the US was gearing up for war production and there was no consideration for cost. Your machine was built with tax dollars. If you were to try and build a similar machine in today's market, the price would be so high that only the top 1% could afford one.

One thing you have to remember in comparing your Monarch to any of the current small machines from China, is that your machine was built during WW II when the US was gearing up for war production and there was no consideration for cost. Your machine was built with tax dollars. If you were to try and build a similar machine in today's market, the price would be so high that only the top 1% could afford one.

Not entirely true.
The 10EE was already in production before the war broke out. So it was already an off-the-shelf item. Yes, production did ramp up because of the war effort, as did ALL necessary machine production. But the war (and government) did not create the 10EE, it was already there and it was affordable by industry before and well after the war.

The 10EE was in regular production up through the 1990's, though very limited by then.

Monarch equipment was never intended for the hobbyist market. The smaller Chinese machines are.

It is my understanding that Monarch still has castings laying about and all the patterns. Rumor has it they will make one by customer order.

http://www.lathes.co.uk/monarch/page2.html

the price would be so high that only the top 1% could afford one.
That is true of ALL high quality INDUSTRIAL equipment when brand new.
Your statement also has a political overtone. Please leave the politics elsewhere.

Back