Show us and tell us the stories of your garden equipment

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a small yard . we have a push mower and just bought one of these.

f83e7294-516c-4f12-8942-39c278e03ec7_400.jpg

Tin

I just completed some modifications to my cheap little electric string trimmer:

DSCF2383.JPG

Replaced the plastic head with an aluminum flange and fitted an 18 GA steel blade on it ;D Spent an hour this morning clearing a bunch of little saplings & stuff from the back 40. Worked great, cutting stuff up to about 3/8" dia. or so until the main bearing got a little loose in the plastic housing. I've stuck it back in with JB Weld, will finish up tomorrow.

Are any of those Eclipse brand machines? The one on the left looks like one my folks had years ago. My mower is one of the reel type like those but the motive power is the guy holding on to the handles. (Small yard)

When I was not very old my older brother (who is now 60) would have been 10 or so maybe wanted a "riding mower" so he used some baling twine and tied his red wagon to the back of one of those self-propelled reel mowers. My mother was always scared to death he was going to fall and put a hand or foot into the reel. One day she hears a blood curdling scream and runs outside with visions of blood and missing fingers in her head to find the brother leaving the mower in a hurry. A snake was wound around the reel. He never has gotten along well with snakes.

We had an Eclipse mower with the Briggs engine with the ratchet handle for starting. Improvement from hand wound rope but pre-recoil rope pull starters.

Paul

rake60 said:
I have a 17 year old Craftsman lawn tractor, a 1 year old Cub Cadet push mower with electric start and a 2 year
old Poulan weed whacker with attachments that I don't even know what they do.

Then I have a few older self propelled push mowers that are in line for a little fixing up.

MoreReelMowers.jpg

When I find the time..... ::)

Rick

Two of those are Eclipse mowers.

I had one exactly like the one you describe and did a total restoration on it.
The engine was a Briggs Model 5S with a ratchet starter.

RocketMowerDoneLeft.jpg

It ended up on the eBay auction block and did very well!

I actually documented that restoration on my personal web pages, HERE, if you may be interested.

Rick

rake60 said:
New toy, I mean tool of course.

I bought the edger attachment for my Poulan Pro string trimmer today.

EgderAttachment.jpg

It's a nice set up. You loosen the red knob on the top half of the shaft, pull the string
trimmer head off, slip the edger on and re-tighten the knob.

The sidewalks do need a little patch work but at least the edges are sharp.

SidewallkEdged.jpg

Now I'm looking at the other attachment that are available for it.

OtherAttachments.jpg

That little chain saw pruner looks like it would be fun to play with!

Rick

Rick, I have the same trimmer and cultivator and hedge trimmer. the headge trimmer is kind of scarry at full throttle and it shakes the living crap out of your arm but I havent found a bush it wont cut yet :big:

Latest posts

Back