Should I buy this?

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I used the fancy micro adjustable lathe tool posts in a machining course many years ago and loved them. Always wanted one for my lathe but they had a lot of zeros in the price. Lately they have become incredibly cheap. The one below can land at my door for under $400.

I am tempted, but the little voice says cheap might not be a good thing with something like this. Anybody had any experience with these?

Attachments

• F96E99E6-B8C3-4D2C-A782-CED39F2D563F.png
    F96E99E6-B8C3-4D2C-A782-CED39F2D563F.png
    128.6 KB · Views: 768
It looks a knock off of a Swiss MultiFix system so quality should be OK. Depends on whether there is anything else you want for $400 + a bit more that you will spend for the extra toolholders.

But then, if you have money to burn why not go for it - you obviously want one.

Dave
The Emerald Isle

For $400 you get a repeatable indexing on the tool post attitude.
If you are making many of the same parts it may be a marginal advantage
If, as hobbyist you make mostly single parts I just can't see the advantage.
But if you want it.

Hi spend time making your own tooling and save your money for projects and models. There is many and varied designs for tool posts out there.
After all this is the "Mad Modder" Forum with all opinions expressed, constructively criticised and debated.

One of the first things I bought for my lathe was a new quick change tool post...

mainly because I didn't have a ton of experience and such posts saved me much time and effort in setting up for various operations. Saves me time and head ache.

I see indexed tool posts as a display of pride in a lathe much like customizing a car with nice mag wheels. If you can afford it, enjoy the perk.

I'm trying to stay 'stock' with my machines which is just another approach, neither right nor wrong, just different.

Interesting you should post this now, I just finished reading a few comments on these. Well the variant from Create Tool in China. Apparently Create Tool is a licensed maker of the unit. I’m on a cellphone at the moment so no links but I believe you can find videos on YouTube.

In anyevent one guy implied that it isn’t a perfect reproduction. However that doesn’t mean it will not work at all.

To be perfectly honest I wouldn’t go this route simply because of availability. With the American style tool posts you can buy all sorts of tool holders easily or make them cheap. Further making specialized holders, say for dial indicators, knurling tools or whatever is also easy. Making a multifix holder is a lot more work.

As for tool post usability I say go for it!!! The biggest hurdle is properly sizing the tool post. Once this is done setting tools on center will be a snap. I do not consider a proper quick change solution to be a luxury. It n fact I consider them to be a basic tool required for initial lathe outfitting. That doesn’t mean commercial units exclusively as there are many great DIY units out there.

I used the fancy micro adjustable lathe tool posts in a machining course many years ago and loved them. Always wanted one for my lathe but they had a lot of zeros in the price. Lately they have become incredibly cheap. The one below can land at my door for under $400.

I am tempted, but the little voice says cheap might not be a good thing with something like this. Anybody had any experience with these?

Hi Guys,

I've dumped all my fancy toolposts for properly made Norman Patent style tool holders. I should have done it years ago instead of spending a fortune on the next best thing since sliced bread.

25-09-2018-006.JPG

25-09-2018-007.JPG

Since the swiss originator of the Multifix system is out of business there are two makers now. I think the EBay seller is the Chinese maker. They are supposed to be pretty good. There is a German maker now too.
I have been looking for the link. I don't remember the name
THe german maker is mentioned on Abom79 s youtube channel.
Dennis

For a hobbyist wanting a quick change post, you cannot beat the American style post as made by a quality Asian maker. Phase II makes a quality wedge style post that takes standard tool holders ( abundant on ebay and in the used markets). The only thing better would be an Aloris or Dorian post in the same style if you can find a used one. New ones are very expensive and are really overkill for the hobbyist. Phase II holders are hardened, ground and nicely finished. I have a bunch of them I use on a Dorian post with complete satisfaction. I have never used a Multifix, but it appears to be oriented towards production use on a manual machine. No wonder that the original maker has ceased production.

WOB

The standard type quick change posts seem to come in a piston style and a wedge style. Is one more suitable for home use than the other? I suspect that the tool holders are not interchangeable between the two types.

The standard type quick change posts seem to come in a piston style and a wedge style. Is one more suitable for home use than the other? I suspect that the tool holders are not interchangeable between the two types.
As long as the post were the same size such as AXA or BXA etc. the holders fit both the wedge style or piston style toolposts . My lathe came with a piston style and I later upgraded to a wedge. The wedge system is marginally more accurate for tip position which is handy if you are using a DRO with stored tool offsets. The wedge post is also quite a bit more rigid.

I started with a wedge QCTP so can not say but the wisdom on the streets say the wedge is better.

We must draw a distinction between QCTP versus some NO QCTP solution
AND
Fancy QCTP versus plain vanilla wedge or piston QCTP

In the first case any type of QCTP is a vast improvement over NO QCTP at all, a necessity.
In the second case is like the difference between 24 years Scotch whiskey and 50 years Scotch whiskey. If you can afford it and appreciate the difference, by all means...

One thing to consider, already mentioned that can not be overstated is the availability of tool holder, one can not have enough. I hate when I need to take a tool out of one to mount a new tool. Which would I need the least in the future among the one occupied?

I have original Multifix tool posts & holders on two of my lathes, both have DROs. If I take a tool off and change to another tool I just dial in the tool number and it immediately has the accurate tool cutting position - accurate to 0.01mm every time.

Except when you move the top slide to cut a taper then you start storing all the tool measurements again. Another disadvantage is the measurement is only accurate for mounting the tool holder in one position not the other locations round the tool post.

One cannot have too many tool holders ;)

Jo

Very similar layout the problem I open several forums at once. I think it called cross pollination.

Since the swiss originator of the Multifix system is out of business there are two makers now. I think the EBay seller is the Chinese maker. They are supposed to be pretty good. There is a German maker now too.
I have been looking for the link. I don't remember the name
THe german maker is mentioned on Abom79 s youtube channel.
Dennis
I have a Chinese copy of the Multi Fix Tool post and it is fine save so much time in tool setting Cheers John

You want to see real different style, an Impero from Italy. I have one on my 15" Colchester. The catalog claims .0001 repeatability. No longer in production. Its unique features make it very versatile, has both boring bar holders and cutter holders designed into the tool post . The yellow post is a Skyhook I have mounted on the tool post to lift 12" chucks off and on.
Here are a few pics. Comes in a nice wood box. If someone wants to see the catalog I can attach it to another post.

Bob
Holder-and-cutter-2--EM.jpg
Tool-holder-1 EM.jpg

Box-set-1 EM.jpg
Holder-and-boring-bar EM.jpg

My problem is finding the right unit to fit. These Multifix clones come in many sizes, designated by a letter and usually a number. They start at Aa (one vendor calls it A0), the smallest, designed for mini-lathes. The next size up is A1. This size would fit my lathe well. Its a King 10X22. The current tool post uses 12mm (1/2”) lathe tools. If I confirm my 1/2” lathe tool tip against my nice live centre in the tail stock, then rotate the tool post over the compound, the tool tip is 22mm above the top surface of the compound. Since the tool holder on an adjustable tool post will hit the compound at its lowest point, I need to confirm that the A1 Multifix clone will allow a 1/2” tool to get low enough to make my 22mm tool tip height.

According to the diagrams and tables in the Ebay ad, the bottom edge of the tool holder for the A1 is 8mm high. With a 12 mm tool that is 20mm, just enough for a bit of wiggle room in meeting my 22mm tool height. But I have to make sure that there is no mechanical obstruction in the Multifix tool post that would prevent the tool holder from hitting dead bottom.

I am emailing the vendor back and forth. He is good about responding but language issues are preventing him from understanding my concern. I will take some photos for him when I get back home.

Latest posts

Back