short-term corrosion prevention

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ryan

Reaction score
Just wondering what people use for rust prevention of tools and machine surfaces they often use? It is my understanding that products like CRC 3-36, Fluidfilm, LPS-3 etc are what you put on if you don't intend on using the tools for a long time. also they need to be cleaned off with WD-40 or equivalent when you go to use them? it's not like the really awful sticky stuff that comes on new machines is it?

Esentially is my strategy of applying way oil to sliding surfaces and light machine oil on everything else metal sufficient?

should be. most people work like that.

making everything clean also helps. leaving chips and cutting oil in the surfaces may cause rusting or other kinds of problems.

It depends on the humidity level in your workshop. Light oils have'nt worked well for me, nor wax. Not used Fluidfilm but it's supposed to be very good stuff. I'd certainly like to try some on my machines at some point.

I run a dehumidifier and in my shop and also burn a wood stove in the winter. It seems to work quite well for me. I don't oil them unless it's just regular care and maintenance.

Latest posts

Back