Shopwares Machines

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That looks like a nice little board. I like my gecko but the price is right and should do fine on a small lathe.
Tin

Wow, the price is good for sure. Google the Chinese TB6560 and you'll find quite a bit of chatter, both good & bad on the various fori.

It'd be great if someone here has hands-on experience with them. I'd be interested in one if the 15 yr. old controller in my Denford goes tango uniform.

I would not expect that board to perform as well as my G540 that is made in USA and cost $300.
The gecko is modular the drivers plug into the mother board lose one axis pull a card and replace it.
I would not try to push that little board to amperage or voltage limits.
but a 24 v power supply and 160 oz in motors are plenty for a small lathe.
Chinese boards tend to be over rated rather than conservatively rated.
and the board is likely not particularly modular and likely not repairable unless you are good with electronics.
But a complete control board with three drivers for $70 like I said a good price.
You could install a couple of these with a breakout board. a bit nicer
http://www.geckodrive.com/g251x-p-38.html
Tin

Jonathan : I'm sorry that I made you sorry - not my intention, just trying to make a point about telling as many facts as possible when asking for advise - makes it easier to make a right suggestion.

I will not claim that I don't make mistakes when I speak my native tongue - not possible with my brain damage (traffic accident many years ago) and it probably doesn't improve by being translated into English, so it's not like I can't sympathise about not speak as clearly as I could wish for .... :-[

The reason I'm responding at all, is the fact that I've only seen and read some very kind people communicate about subjets I've been interested in for the last 40 years, in a very forgiving manner, that gives me confidence to "speak".

Best wishes

Per

DK,,

No harm and no foul!! My response was hopefully ( obviously not a good one) an apology for not doing my job on this end!

Kind of hard to soar with eagles, when you have no wings ;) I'm constantly amazed not only by the talent but also the incredible amount of knowledge you guys have on this forum !! Truly humbling when you are kind of a throw back like I am.. and lean towards using mostly hand tools?

Jumping into the step motor/CNC world.. is like jumping off into deep water with a rock tied to my feet!! :big: and as far as your English translations go... It's better than my normal written and spoken word!

Respect Always
Jonathan

metalshaper said:
DK,,

Jumping into the step motor/CNC world..
Here is a picture of a stepper motor driven capacitor used to remote tune an antenna. The interface box contained a stepper motor driver and a radio data port logic controller. As the radio operator changed frequency the computer would read the radio data port and drive the stepper motor keeping the antenna precisely tuned to the radio's frequency. It's still in operation after 10 years of use. It's mounted in a 50 cal ammo can.

DSC00385.jpg

Hi Jonathon

Tin suggested i come to this thread to try and offer some advice/help on the strengh of having an old Denford Orac lathe with original electronics. I'm not at all sure i am going to be of any use at all, as i like you have no wings ;).
The system i run with my denford was set up by the guy i bought it off, but basically the lathe itself is self contained as far as prgramming is concerned and the PC i have connected (Via a RS232) is purely for programme storage. The software installed in the PC is run on an old windows 3.1 in DOS with an old tower having compatable socket for the RS232.
I seem to remember the chap saying that the software for the PC was downloaded from the denford forum as was the wiring diagram for the RS232 cable.
I was fortunate enough to purchase the lathe in this condition, so my advise will be very limited indeed.

Regards

BoxFordian,

Thanks for the reply.

I'm just being CHEAP :big: and was hoping it would be a case of "Working Smarter not Harder" It would be great if I could kick start the old board and get it running, but it's looking more and more like a Gut and Rebuild??? I'm not in a big hurry. as I have a Craftsman/Dunlap AA 6 X 12 with a full set of change gears.. I'll just have to read up..do a LOT of learning is all!!

My Son Colton surprised me, by offering to buy my "board" for Fathers day! < Great Kid BTW!! takes after his Mom!!> I told him "No, Thanks anyway, you'll need your money for College!"

The Quest continues!! ;) and in my usual bout of Shop ADD.. I've had to turn my attention to helping out a bud, with his BP Rifle build..

Thanks again to everyone!!

Respect Always
Jonathan/Metalshaper

Back