Shop under renovation

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brass_Machine

Reaction score
Currently redoing my shop. Decided to put a few pictures up. They are not quite 'before' pics... more like 'in process'

View of one of the corners. You can see the metal bandsaw, Blast cabinet, miter saw, drill press, build table with current bike project and lots and lots of junk

shop%201.jpg

The engine work bench. Another bench that I making a modular base for (more on the later). My carbon and composite supply shelf...

shop%202.jpg

Mill

Shop%203.JPG

New Lathe

Shop%204.JPG

Different angle

Shop%205.JPG

My fine work bench. Do all my electronics here. No it isn't always that messy:

Shop%206.JPG

So give me a month or so... will post up some more pictures when I am done.

Eric

Brass Machine you have to start someplace and it looks to me like you have a good start. Look through the pics in the link on my Sig and you will see where I started as far as a shop and machinery (stuffed into a 2 car garage), to where I am now. It took 5 years and over a great deal of that time I couldn't get to my machinery. But now my shop is insulated and heated with good lighting..:)...be patient...:)

A shop is a dynamic ongoing project. You can go in it with all of the planning, organizational ideas, layout, and whatever else, and once done you will be ready or wanting to move this or change that. It is the nature of the beast!

You have a great place, and are off to a great start. Hang in there and be persistent. It will get into shape before you know it!

Yeah fortunately I am an old hand at shops being dynamic. The one before here was an actual shop... about 30' by 40'. Did a lot of motorcycle building and modifying in there. Was renting it and the apartment above it. Bought a house about 2 years ago so I had to leave that behind.

I also have a 11' x 20' detached garage. Can't really call it a garage... more like a shack on a concrete slab. The basement is only temporary, hopefully next year (or the year after) it comes down to be replaced by a 16' x 24'. Then I will move out of the basement and back into the garage.

My shop always looks as yours does under renovation.

Mine ISN'T, it just always looks like that!

I clean it up, but the first time I go looking for a tool I need
it ends up looking just as it did before the clean up..... ::)

Rick

Brassmachine, your shop looks just like mine, I even have the same mill!, I find that the trouble with a lot of bench space is that it's very convenient for putting all the tools and stuff that you can't be bothered to put away just yet on, until you need to use the workspace, then it's time for the big clear up!...Giles

Built a new bench for the X2 mill:

New%20Bench.JPG

Moved the lathe to another location:

Lathe%20New.JPG

Slowly but surely redoing... ;D

Eric,
It looks nicely organized. Tell me a little about that motorcycle - it looks interesting ;D

Cheers,
Phil

Where's the powder coating oven?

I see great potential in that space...

Best,

BW

Philjoe5 said:
Eric,
It looks nicely organized. Tell me a little about that motorcycle - it looks interesting ;D

Cheers,
Phil

That one is a TL1000R engine. I am building a custom frame for it. Gonna have a forkless hossack style front end. The other is a yamaha XS400 getting a modern cafe racer facelift.

Eric

BobWarfield said:
Where's the powder coating oven?

I see great potential in that space...

Best,

BW

The big oven is out in the garage. I haven't finished running the 220 for it yet. I used a small toaster over for the vice stop.

Eric

Back