Shop under renovation!!

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In my tiny shop space it's inevitable that any horizontal surface will quickly fill with stuff. It used to be a real pain clearing a space when I needed to work on something large (which, fortunately, I do very seldom).

I solved the problem by identifying some key working areas and making flat plywood "serving trays" which sit on those surfaces. These trays have sturdy steel handles (the type one might see on a shed door) fixed to them so it's easy to lift the tray and whatever it's collected, set it on the floor, and, voila, a big clear patch of working space.

I did something similar on my lathe. Like many Chinese lathes, it has a flat, hinged top on the headstock that one must lift to change speeds. Being flat, it's a perfect place to lay chuck key, mike, screwdriver, etc.. Then, when a speed change is needed, all that must be picked up and a place found for it.

The local craft store sells a set of three small pine trays (really 1.5" high topless boxes) of varying sizes. These are meant , I believe, to be painted with craft paints until suitably hideous, then gifted to relatives one loathes.

One on top of the headstock and the others scattered in key "tool collection sites" have helped enormously. Instead of picking up a whole handful of tools (and probably dropping a couple) one simply sets the tray aside, performs the needed operation, and then replaces the tray.

Re lathes hanging on walls... I toured a WWII submarine here in CA (can't remember which harbor offhand) and the lathe was mounted to the bulkhead. Not that surprising given the cramped interior of a sub. But this one had the spindle axis vertical! I wonder how long it would take to adjust to working on such a tool.

Divided He ad said:
Ha! Found it... Alan2525 posted it in the 'My little corner of the Universe - Phase 1'(page 1) post of Crewcabs...
Thanks for the reminder Ralph ;D .............. now on the "to do" list

Thanks to Alan as well ;)

CC

Using a lathe on the wall :eek: now that must have been odd!? ???
I do like the idea of little tool trays Marv, it is on the 'look out at the shops' list ;D

CC, it was fixed in my mind the moment I read it... I just couldn't remember where ??? ::)

Tis all good now though ;D... I just got to get some more shop time!! :-\

Ralph.

I've been warned....120days eh..? Well progress needs reporting on so here it is.... ;D

I've been a little busy and it all fits into shop renovation IMO.

Firstly I've added a new item... Well new to me (donated to a good cause ... me. also to save it from being made into little engine cylinders!!) the Toggle press.
DSC02242.jpg

It was alot of fun lifting it onto the bench... Shows I've still got my superhuman powers 8) :big:

It has a lot of potential... That's a work in progress!

And the latest item is a new bench for my mill to call home, it is out of an old AA van... strong bit of kit (Sortimo...appear quite expensive!)
Still when it's up for offer you don't say no do you ;D
DSC02272-1.jpg

Sorry I can't get back far enough to get it all in frame!

DSC02273-1.jpg

Loads of tool storage too ;D

Well that's the update... it'll soon be time to make something in there!!!

Ralph.

Hey Ralph,

Those Sortimo units are awesome and VERY expensive, when the salesman was selling me mine for the vans he made great effort to show me pictures of their crash resistance even when loaded with heavy tools...

If you find any more going spare give me a shout!!!!!

David

Nice setup! That drawer / bench set up is excellent - very practical and functional. Somehow gear like that becomes even more special when you "win" it in that way.

Goody goody!

Hi David,
Your on the short list (so short it's only you on it!!!) I checked out their website :eek: Your not wrong! I do like their fold away vise... Very cool!

PF,
Glad you like it, I've just got to explore it's full potential as a workshop now. The winter months are here, that means more shop time on average.... Problem with being young, free and single is that you keep finding fun things to do all week :D

The donated tooling is my most prized, as I would never have been able to get in any other way.... I just need to find ways of showing my appreciation.... I think it quite hard to do that when the master you got most of them off has pretty mush everything he will ever need!!

Anyway, I'm waffling... Now I'm going to work in the rain!!

Ralph.

Latest posts

Back