Shop Tricks for Disabilities

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I wanted to share some things that work for me in the shop. As a T-3 Quad. (place your right hand over your heart, T-3 is everything below you thumb is paralized) arm strenght is a real problem, with no abdominal control, moving or lifting require one hand to hold onto the chair, the other to do the work.

The handle in the center of the door makes it much easier to close as the chair goes through.

Shoptricks007.jpg

This is a HF Hydraulic table, converted to hand pump

Shoptricks001.jpg

Being in a chair you need extra room to get around, this shelf unit rolls, and the shelves are on BB slides that move out so I can pick the chucks up with the lift.

Shoptricks012.jpg

The Tool Grinder is on a BBQ cart on wheels, just sping the cart to use each end of the grinder

Shoptricks011.jpg

The DP is on wheels as well

[
Shoptricks005.jpg

A power drawbar for the Mill is the only way to go,

Shoptricks002.jpg

A VFD makes control of the Mill much easier, this is mounted on the saddle, just below the table

VFDControlBP.jpg

While I could reach the depth handwheels with my grabber, lowered and 2:1 ratio makes it nice

Shoptricks006.jpg

love the mods Tom. looks like a very well equipped shop, what are you working on at the moment. ?

Rob.......

On the lathe a wall mount for a TV supports an old Bridgeport tool holder, the box on the wall is all lathe tools

Shoptricks008.jpg

Then swings out of the way

Shoptricks009.jpg

This lift is bolted to the back of the lathe, used to swing the chucks and work pieces for the lathe

lathefl018.jpg

Yeah the BB pillowblocks were overkill, but it sure spins nice

Shoptricks004.jpg

Heres a chuck with the lift bracket, the block and tackle is quick it needs to lift about 40 lbs is all

Shoptricks003.jpg

To lift heavy stuff there is a 4K cherry picker, this is an invalid lift 300lbs at the hook, overhung +18" safe at 50lbs, battery powered

Shoptricks010.jpg

Thanks for looking, I hope someone can use these idea's for themselves.

Tom

Tom

Its good to see you can still enjoy machining.
I’ve done work for a charity in the U.K. called REMAP which call on engineers to modify or make items to help people with a disability. In their case history book many of the ways in which a problem was solved. Could indeed help some of the able bodied.
Putting machine benches and the like on wheels can make life easier for many of us.
Keep the photos coming
All the best
Dave Bick

HI tom the work you have dun is brill keep bashing tin regards bob

Thanks for the + comments. I do all sorts of projects for myself mostly, gifts for family and friends. And some paying work as well. About 4 years ago I started a steam engine of my own design. Then other things took its place, so I ordered a casting kit from Coles, the Corliss, last week. This site came up yesterday, and here I am. Of course the first post I read was about Coles, which did not encourage me about them. I'll give them time to sent the castings, its been one week today. They told we the bedplate is out of stock, everthing else is in...time will tell.

Tom,

I still have to call a friend when I need a large chuck changing, but a friend has given me a wheelchair lift out of a car, so I am looking to do the same sort of thing with that as you have done for lifting your chucks.

Keep up the good work.

Bogs

You are proof of what I've always maintained, disability is state of mind. Keep up the good work you are an inspiration to all. th_wav
Ernie Johnson

Tom that is a great setup.
I am a t3 para and know exactly the challengers we face in a chair i just loved seeing how you set everything up. My setup is nowhere near as good as that, but i will steel some of your design specially the Hydraulic table, and the tv stand, brilliant
I hope you are doing well and continuing to inspire others. we are prof that you can still do things even in a wheelchair after spinal cord injury.
Take care

th_confused0052 :bow:

WOW!!!
Tom and all the other guys that machine with disabilities, you guys never cease to amaze me!!!
The ingenious aides that you come up with are so well thought out.

And then there is the work you produce with what seems to be the greatest of ease!
AMAZING!!!

Love seeing all the mods and your machines!!
That Monarch is quite a beast!!!

Andrew

I have a problem where I cannot lift my arms at all ,so my last two mills I have modded the Z way by fitting a stepper motor, at the moment I am using my RT controller but I have the circuit and the bits to build one to controle just the mill, I am also fitting a stepper to act as a Power feed soon, again I will make it so it can be used manually if needed.

Peter

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/user/onehs93#p/a/u/0/2dx-p5kvB78[/ame]

P1070296.jpg

P1070304.jpg

P1070305.jpg

THanks for the comments. I'll do an update, but right now I'm just finishing a project, and the shop is a mess.

Stevo, nice to hear someone else is making chips as a t-3. It is surely one of the more uncommon pursuits for folks at our injury level. What sort of projects are you working on.

Peter, do you have any mobility in your arms? When I was first injured before surgery, the doc's said I had not hand/arm control and were going to place a screw in my spine which would completely sever that cord. My wife aruged that I did have control, to prove her point, she had me write something to show them. So under heavy drugs, upside down, with my off hand I wrote the word "Tubes" which at that point in my life is all I could think about. As a result the surgeon changed the location for the screw and I can type this today, and the spinal surgeon who did the work, uses the procedure he came up with so that others will have the potential to use their hands and arms as I do.

Nice control set for the Z. What other projects have you done.

Tom

Tom,

I know Peter as a personal friend, and I can fully attest to what he is doing, and done, with controllers and stepper motors could help you no end.

Almost every axis movement on machinery can be controlled in this way to very accurate tolerances by using steppers, especially if used in conjunction with a DRO.

I am lucky, I've only yet had to convert my rotary table to stepper control, but it can do it to 100th of a degree accuracy just by button pushing, or even better if programmed, plenty good enough for me.

This is a little long, but it shows only the basics it can do.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P1ifPuImERA[/ame]

Keep at it, and don't ever let anyone tell you that you can't do it.

John

I also have a 10ee lathe, but I can't imagine trying to use it from a normal wheelchair. Are you able to sit high/close enough to see the tool and work? The shop setup is really well done.

MachineTom said:
On the lathe a wall mount for a TV supports an old Bridgeport tool holder, the box on the wall is all lathe tools

Shoptricks008.jpg

Then swings out of the way

Shoptricks009.jpg

This lift is bolted to the back of the lathe, used to swing the chucks and work pieces for the lathe

lathefl018.jpg

Yeah the BB pillowblocks were overkill, but it sure spins nice

Shoptricks004.jpg

Heres a chuck with the lift bracket, the block and tackle is quick it needs to lift about 40 lbs is all

Shoptricks003.jpg

To lift heavy stuff there is a 4K cherry picker, this is an invalid lift 300lbs at the hook, overhung +18" safe at 50lbs, battery powered

Shoptricks010.jpg

Thanks for looking, I hope someone can use these idea's for themselves.

Tom

I spy a Monarch lathe with electric lead screw reverse

Dave

Kvom, The Monarch is a 10EE, I just removed the access door in the center of the base, my feet fit just fine into that opening. Most times the chair is at an angle to the base, facing the tailstock when turning, and facing the headstock when drilling, my eye level is with the top of the head stock. THere is no way to get my head right over the work, I have different magnifiers that I use when needed. It has made me a much better at using stops, DI and now the DRO, rather than looking at the work to just take a bit off.

The most important tool for me in the shop is an electric WC, Thanks to ebay I have two, one for the shop and one for the house. It provids the ability to have a hand to lift and carry, while the other works the chair, the other important thing, it adds is ballast, To lean over and lift 20# without the chair flipping over, as happened in my manual chair.

Dave, Yes, an ELSR, it was dead when I bought it, added a VFD 5hp Black Max, I love this thing.

While I could reach the depth handwheels with my grabber, lowered and 2:1 ratio makes it nice

Shoptricks006.jpg

Some great mods! I have a Harig Super 612 SG and while I sit pretty high in my chair the depth handwheel is at a max height for me. I may use your idea and do the same, thanks for sharing.

It was a fairly simple thing to make, a double bearing spindle for the hand wheel, cut a keyway for the wheel and sprocket, on the upper wheel, I made the nut which holds the handwheel on, a new nut with a shaft extension to carry the upper sprocket, and also bolted the sprocket to the hand wheeel web so it did not unscrew.

Source was QTC in long islend NY for sprockets and belts. Handwheel from MSC

A lot of great ideas there not just for the disabled members but making life and storage ideas for any workshop easier. A great post indeed

Latest posts

Back