Shop built steady rest

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

almega

HMEM Supporting Member
Reaction score
I needed a steady rest for my Logan 400 lathe for a project I am doing and I found nothing available to purchase. There were some I could adapt but they were pricey, and I am frugal so I sketched something up and began sorting through left over bits I had from other projects. I had to purchase a few pieces but my total outlay was less than $20 US. It is a success and I can continue with the project. If I had to do it over I would have made it so I could open it up, which I may still do as a modification of this one by cutting it apart and securing with face mounted plates. Steady Rest.jpg

Most xlnt!
What we have here is a case of re-inventing the wheel because there were no wheels to be found.
Good on you.

Most xlnt!
What we have here is a case of re-inventing the wheel because there were no wheels to be found.
No question about it. I am not claiming to have created anything new but rather to emulate what has been done before because nothing suitable was available. I did over state my out of pocket cost though as it was only $10.81 total. The rest of the materials were left-overs I had in "storage" from previous projects. My time being very low cost at this point and it was good exercise for the brain and my machining skills, it was a win all around, I think.

No question about it. I am not claiming to have created anything new but rather to emulate what has been done before because nothing suitable was available. I did over state my out of pocket cost though as it was only $10.81 total. The rest of the materials were left-overs I had in "storage" from previous projects. My time being very low cost at this point and it was good exercise for the brain and my machining skills, it was a win all around, I think.
I have a similar problem on a somewhat bigger lathe.
Like what you've done.
Suggestion if you would like it to 'sit' a bit more securely - - - machine in the 'V'.
If you ever are machining something and you get some chatter having the 'V' in will help keep things under control.

I agree it would be a more elegant solution but would have required more (thicker) material. The end result would certainly be easier alignment (perpendicularity to the axis of the part) which is easily accomplished with a square. The forces exerted on a steady rest are not twisting with respect to the axis but rather are radial to the part and with the clamping forces I have with my method (friction can be a wonderful thing in this case) of securing it to the lathe bed, there is no vibration or movement of rest. The "V" would only provide marginally more friction for clamping force than I currently have. I would not discourage others from including the "v" cut but for may purposes the physics don't warrant it. An additional feature is that the clamping bar under the bed does allow the rest to self center between the ways for alignment to the lathe axis.

I agree it would be a more elegant solution but would have required more (thicker) material. The end result would certainly be easier alignment (perpendicularity to the axis of the part) which is easily accomplished with a square. The forces exerted on a steady rest are not twisting with respect to the axis but rather are radial to the part and with the clamping forces I have with my method (friction can be a wonderful thing in this case) of securing it to the lathe bed, there is no vibration or movement of rest. The "V" would only provide marginally more friction for clamping force than I currently have. I would not discourage others from including the "v" cut but for may purposes the physics don't warrant it. An additional feature is that the clamping bar under the bed does allow the rest to self center between the ways for alignment to the lathe axis.

Hmmmmmmmm - - - - the reason for the 'V' is so that whatever is running on it 'is' centered.

I wouldn't have used thick material for the 'V' - - - would have embedded some material like the rest itself is made of (notching and welding) and then machining in the 'V'.
Maybe I've had just too much fun with chatter doing thin larger diameter and longish cylinders - - - likely makes me over compensate - - -grin.

Back