Sherline products availability in Europe

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mokhin

Reaction score
Hi,

With this new year I'm at last about to take the leap and invest in some machine tool now that I have a spare room to use. After some research and regarding my production goal, I am looking to get a Sherline Lathe + Mill set.

However I have some question about the support here in Europe where I live. Is there anyone using Sherline in that area ? Do you have difficulties to order parts or accessories and getting them reasonably fast without paying ludacrous amount of postage or tax ?

Best regards and happy new year 2022 !!!!

No enemy there, I did consider Taig/Peatol but was reticent regarding the accessory catalogue against Sherline.

Do you have a Taig/Peatol Lathe/Mill ?

Regards.

For some reason unclear to me Peatol from the UK never answered any emails from me in the Netherlands. Finally I found a friend bound for California who brought my TAIG back over as hand luggage. As personal luggage the price is lower than duty requirements when you package the machine and the accessories separately. If the same must be shipped, insured and formally imported from California to the Netherlands thru a third party the USA catalogue prices will more than double. When I ordered the TAIG no metric spindles were available, so I mounted small cheap DRO's, at the back of the slides well out of the way. I motorized the TAIG with a DC 6000 rpm motor. With the 1:3:1 pulleys and electronic speed control, in the U-beam base, this gives a very useable range of speeds.
A very nice and stable machine!

TAIG on stand.JPG
TAIG top view.JPG
TAIG DRO's mounted at back of slides.JPG

Hi @clockworkcheval, you are not the first one that tells that Peatol UK take some times to answer potentiel customer, if they answer at all, that's too bad !!!

Your setup is quite neat. Did you knew about Sherline when you bought your Taig ? What motivated your choice over Sherline ?

Regards.

Back