Sherline CNC conversion videos

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChooChooMike

Reaction score
Cool I get to post the 1st thread on the CNC board :big:

OK, not exactly the highlight of my day :p ::)

I'm a Sherline user and will CNC my mill at some point in the future.

Here's some nice videos from a guy name Alan Lilly showing converting his Sherline mill to CNC using the Sherline CNC upgrade kit.They are both 12 minutes long, but worth a watch if you are a Sherline user and have any interest in CNC Thm:

http://www.panofish.net/2009-02-15_Sherline_CNC_1/index.html

http://www.panofish.net/2009-02-18_Sherline_CNC_2/index.html

Mike

Very well done videos...thanks for providing the links. I have been a Sherline user for over 10 years but if I ever go CNC I would probably do so with new base machines.

Regards,
Bill

I originally bought a Sherline 2000 but for me, so much manual machining was more like a sentence than a hobby. I bought a second Sherline 2000 with the motor mounts already attached and did the rest of the mechanical & electrical stuff myself. Even though the CNC mill has hand wheels on all axes, I love also having the manual mill for smaller jobs.

The CNC mill hardly resembles the original any more. I bought the extended X and Y axes from A2ZCNC which really opens up the work envelope - I would never be without this. I also bought their zero backlash saddle. Then I made a big 1" thick steel base to mount it on and the mass provides a wonderfully sturdy platform. When I made the big base, I also dispensed with the Sherline mounting column and used 8020 extrusions which allow me much greater flexibility of raising and lowering the Z axis ( which I rarely do ) and it sits back from the normal mounting point and give me even more Y axis travel.

I suppose the moral of all of this, at least for me, is that if I did it all over again I would likely just buy the Sherline 2000 Z axis assembly and assemble the rest for parts from other sources. And keep the manual mill just as it is.

sherlinebase-11.JPG

Latest posts

Back