sherline 5400 possible purchase help

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
just got back from looking at it.

soo, the motor is wobbly.
the y axis will move away from you but you cant bring it back. when you try bringing it back it feels like it binds and grinds.
also, he mentioned he milled just a touch off the y axis base (where the table rides on) because of chips burring the surface.

hmmmmm.

still worth it? he x and z were very smooth.
what is needed to get the y back up and running.

Where's the motor wobbling, at the mounting bracket? Unless he's done something heavy-handed to it, like stripping out the mounting screws, that doesn't sound too bad.

I'm guessing he's milled out the middle of the Y saddle, which isn't really a contact point anyway, the dovetails locate the saddle. Not a terrible thing to go hacking on, but I don't know why he's done it...

The Y-axis binding could be from chips under the saddle, or leadscrew/leadnut problems, either more chips, or something else loose. The Y leadscrew goes through a little 'thrust collar' where it attaches to the mill base, that could be loose and cause binding... hard to guess without seeing the mill.

Still, it doesn't sound like it has any big problems. My Sherline was ex-highschool shop class, and had a few problems of it's own. ;D

http://www.sherline.com/prices3.htm

tops it would cost me $30 from sherline to repair it, well it seems that way anyways.

good news, the deal is done.
I emailed him after the visit with some more questions and what I found on sherlines site in regards to spares.

he said he would accept $200 :D
just waiting to see if hes alright with me picking it up tonight.

will keep you all posted. thanks for all the help.

Don't forget the DETAILED pictures ;D

th_wwp

Vernon said:
...and a rebuild thread. ;D

aslong as you guys assist me :D
it may be in a week or 2 depending on how I feel. need to study for my final exams then im on winter break.

have somany things on the go, I need to rebuild my kohler k301 engine so that might take priority.

but you guys will get to see pictures tonight! :D ;D ;) :)

Thm: SPEEDY GOT A MILL SPEEDY GOT A MILL Thm:

congrats on the mill.

chuck

$200!! Sweet! You'll have to change your .sig now!

thanks everyone!
sig changed and mill where it should be (well almost, need to make room and bolt it down)

DSC00183.jpg

SPEEDY'S GOT A MILL!

Cool!

Make sure when you mount it you aren't throwing chips into the motor for the Taig.
You don't need any man-made lightening :eek:

Good going, Speedy. I don't know how you could do any better than two bills and have a real Sherline.
Sounds like a steal to me!

Dean

I am very exited about this purchase.
thank you all for the kind comments!

once I get some other things set aside I will tear it down and get it fully operational again.
you guys will hear a bunch from me when I rebuild the bottom end. just like when I first got my Taig with all those questions ;D

im glade we have this forum with a bunch of kind members.

Hey... is the anodizing worn off of the base in the bottom of the Y dovetails? ???

that would be the milling he decided to do on the base.
it doesnt seem to be to bad. hopefully that didnt just kill the 200$ deal.

Aw, man. I misread what you said last night, thinking he'd milled the underside of the saddle or the center section of the base.
Well... if it's straight and flat I guess its not terrible...or unusable. Losing the anodizing is too bad, though, it was a harder-than-steel, low-friction surface. Hmm.

Is the saddle dragging in the middle now? Pull this thing apart, I want to SEE it. ;D I know, you've got other things to do first.

where the screw is it seems like it is marking up all the anodizing.
I will be happy if it moves smooth when I get it sorted.

if not I am sure I can sell it for 200$.
or pursue a new table from sherline, they told me they give student discounts so it would be cheaper then buying a complete new mill.

let me know what you think I should do, if its worth holding onto or not.

if I tear it down I can get it anodized again. I know 2 companies 10 mins away from me.

Yeah, it'll work out. It's still a great deal. The student discount sounds nice, I didn't know they'd do that.

Send me the mill base and I'll re-anodize it for ya.

Speedy said:
if I tear it down I can get it anodized again. I know 2 companies 10 mins away from me.
Oh, that works, too.
I'd hang on to it, Sherline parts are inexpensive and good quality, and you'll have a good little mill when you're done.

If I wasn't saving to get a lathe, I'd almost be trying to talk you out of it. ;D

Latest posts

Back