sherline 5400 possible purchase help

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Speedy

Reaction score
I have an opportunity to purchase a sherline 5400 mill.
Included is a vice for the table, a 1/4" Jacobs chuck, a 3/8" end mill holder and a hold down set.
he is asking 250$ but it has a sloppy x axis that he says you just need to get a new gib.

I think its a decent deal as they are about 1000$.

Um, if you don't buy that.... Send me his contact info.... I will! :D

even if it has barely visible surface rust and dings on the table?

okay I still am talking to the seller, he said he has about 4 other serious inquires before me but lets see where this goes.
I live about 10 mins from him.

Next time you tlak to the seller advise him that the thing is a piece of crap and you'll give him $200 in unrolled nickels because you are saving your pennies....

;)

Speedy said:
even if it has barely visible surface rust and dings on the table?

okay I still am talking to the seller, he said he has about 4 other serious inquires before me but lets see where this goes.
I live about 10 mins from him.

RUST????

Uh, isn't the table ALUMINUM?

the ways are steel I believe.
the table is aluminum, sorry for that :(
need to watch my wording :-[

its just very light surface, no deep pits.

Sorry Mike. I didn't mean for that to sound like a criticism.
I was more wondering if maybe the table had been replaced.

Yes, the bed of my Sherline lathe is steel, I would assume the mill to be also.

It sounds like a great deal. I say go for it 8)

nono Ksouers, I went back and looked at my initial posting and it even sounded like I meant the table was rusty. my wording should have read better.
were all good 8)

lets see if he will take 200$.

Yeah the Z column is steel, X&Y are anodized aluminum. If Z was rusted so badly that it needed replacement, Sherline's longer-travel column and leadscrew aren't too much more expensive.

I wonder if your machine really needs a new gib for X, or just replacement...

At $250, it sounds like a very good deal, unless it's just plain beat. Sherline makes a fine machine, and you won't have any problem getting parts for it, like that gib, if needed.

Dean

send me the info ill by it wont even ask any ?s go for it man go for it

So Speedy, didja get that mill? Hoping for a YES!!

DC Clark.. Where in SoMD? I'm in Laurel.

I was going to look at it today, but I needed to go pick up engine parts so I can rebuild my case tractors engine.
had to go to the guys house 2 hours each way so my day was shot when I got back.

am going to view the mill tomorrow, it just sucks being financially impaired at the moment.
your all telling me its a great price so I think I should jump on it.

its the same price I got my lathe for I believe 250$, and if any of you remember the post of all the starret tools, the guy got back to me and will sell them all for $250 guess 250 is the magical number? so 250x3 = 750 tied up in this hobby, not bad at all.

now lets see if it will still be around tomorrow, he told me everyone thats interested says they were going to show but never did.

034 - Copy.JPG

032.JPG

I'm not certain that this is the reason, but maybe the X axis is sloppy because he has it on backwards.
Seeing it, I would get it for that price for sure, unless it is just a complete bag of bones.
Bring it home, tear it all down and clean it well. Put the X on so the dial is on the right, and make some chips.

Dean

forgot to mention, he said its about 4-5 years old, used it to make some tattoo machine parts out of 1018.

Latest posts

Back