• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to HomeModelEngineMachinist and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

For Sale Selling my dad's shop - Bridgeport, Linley Jig Borer, Southbend Lathe, Craftsman/Atlas Lathe, Deckel Grinder, Meteor Drill Sharpener

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vermontguy54

Reaction score
I'm posting about my dad's shop to gauge interest in those looking to buy these machines. They are located in Central Vermont and we (my sisters and I) would like to sell them to a good home. We can assist in loading them but we aren't interested in shipping. I've got a number of pictures of them but as I mentioned, I like to see what interest there is in them. I'll attach a few to show them.
Bridgeport Cleaned.jpg
Bridgeport Head.jpeg

Attachments

• Central Machinery Serial.JPG
    Central Machinery Serial.JPG
    106.6 KB · Views: 403
  • Central Machinery Surface Grinder1.jpg
    Central Machinery Surface Grinder1.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 442
  • Chuck Bison 3865 6.25 n .jpeg
    Chuck Bison 3865 6.25 n .jpeg
    155.6 KB · Views: 395
  • Craftsman Lathe Cleaned 1.jpg
    Craftsman Lathe Cleaned 1.jpg
    244.2 KB · Views: 468
  • Deckel Grinder front view.jpg
    Deckel Grinder front view.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 496
  • Meteor Drill Sharpener.JPG
    Meteor Drill Sharpener.JPG
    44 KB · Views: 490
  • Southbend end closeup.JPG
    Southbend end closeup.JPG
    40.1 KB · Views: 483
  • South Bend to drive head.jpg
    South Bend to drive head.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 426
You might consider calling Gary Schoenly, of Cabin Fever Expo. He will come up and get an entire shop and run it through the auction. He will either pay one price up front, or will pay the proceeds of the auction. He has been in Maine several times to collect shops. Check their web site for contact info and other auction sales to see how they run them.

I am sure there will be lots interested in the Bridgeport Mill....

To give you some idea of value for the Ddeckel grinder, you can compare with Chinese copies of this machine on ebay. You can find these by searching 'U2' and 'U3' grinders.

Thanks for the responses. I am putting together an ad to see what kind of response that gets. If we don't get many bites I'll probably go the auction route. Appreciate the help! Brian

I'm posting about my dad's shop to gauge interest in those looking to buy these machines. They are located in Central Vermont and we (my sisters and I) would like to sell them to a good home. We can assist in loading them but we aren't interested in shipping. I've got a number of pictures of them but as I mentioned, I like to see what interest there is in them. I'll attach a few to show them.View attachment 129159View attachment 129160

I have developed an ad for the tools at my dad's which I am attaching. If there are interested members please let me know. We will send more pictures of measurement tools that we have not photographed yet. I'll be back in Vermont starting Thursday thru 10/13. Appreciate the advise and comments from the group. It's been a very positive experience getting to learn about the machines with several forums being very helpful. Thanks! Brian

Attachments

• Ad for machine tools.pdf
    4.5 MB · Views: 561
Geographical location determines the price. That bridgeport mill will sell for $2000 in Nashville TN and $5000 in Phoenix AZ. The craftsman lathe wills sell for about $2500 in TN and $6000 in Phoenix. I have no clue what they will sell for in Vermont??? I had 2 bridgeport mills sold 1 online someone drove 2000 miles to pick it up. It is bad to have something to sell and not know what it is worth the buyer has a big advantage if he knows what it is worth. If you just want everything gone it is best to sell the whole lot if you can get a reasonable price. My 92 year old father died 5 years ago I sold his house with all the furniture and with all his tools for $30,000. less than it was all worth, I just wanted it all gone, too much hassle to sell it 1 piece at a time sence I live several 100 miles from his house.

Last edited:
Our local machinist's club the "Southern Arizona Model Engineers" had a member who has dealt in used machine tools for over 30 years. He has given his "Dutch Uncle" talk several times, regarding liquidating a shop.
He says he can only offer about 1/2 of what it is worth. He has to move it, store it, possibly repair it, and still must make money on it to stay in business.
His basic advice is to liquidate your shop BEFORE you die, as your heirs will have NO CLUE about value. He also said that you should not sell to a machinery dealer, while expecting full price, because it simply won't happen.
His recommendation is to sell it yourself if you can, with the proviso that whoever buys the item must come and pick it up. He stated that this was the only way to get full value for what you were selling, and it only works if you realize and understand the value of what you have.
But basically, the resale value of used machine tools is pretty low. Because they are generally heavy, and hard to move, high asking prices will result in the machine going for a scrap price eventually after the heirs realize that absolutely no one is going to pick up their used Bridgeport, and pay top dollar while doing it.
He HAS bought estate machinery, after frustrated relatives found out how difficult it actually is to liquidate this stuff. But he stated that the best way is to sell if before it becomes a problem for your heirs to solve.
This individual has an excellent reputation locally for honesty, fair dealing, and he also will deliver and set up any machine you buy from him. (That's a pretty big factor! We had one local member who had to have a leg amputated after a milling machine he was moving tipped over, and put the milling rack rod through his lower leg. (Twice! They had lifted it up to get it out of his leg, and then it fell again, and went back through the leg a second time. That constituted a VERY bad day!)
When I had a 10" X 54"Mill delivered from ENCO years ago, I had it dropped of at the machinery mover's business, where they could unload it properly. Then they brought it to my house, moved it from the street, taking it off the semi, moved it down the alley that gives access to my backyard shop, rolled it into the shop, and located it perfectly. It took less than 15 minutes from the truck horn to when they truck pulled away. The only thing I had to do was carry the paper machine manual with me from the street to my shop. I also had to plug the machine in. They did everything else, and it was well worth the $300 they charged. Sometimes the skilled trade is easily worth the money you spend.

I'm passing on some advice my late Wife gave me. PREPARE IN ADVANCE. I have a lot of machinery, expensive models, tooling, tools and such. I've taken the time to take pictures of what I have. Then went to eBay, found exact or similar items and printed out what people are asking for items. I build plastic and 1/8 scale cars. The 1/8 cars cost me about $2,000 just to buy the model then put it together. Did the same with these on eBay. Then buy a fire proof safe for your office. Put all this paper information in there along with instructions to your heirs on what to do with all your "stuff". My late Wife told me Her "instructions" on what to do after She was gone. Trust me, it was one of the best things She did for me. Don't have your heirs "wondering" what to do, TELL them what to do with your possessions. I also have 2 very close friends who are master machinists. I have instructions to fly them out to my place, put them up in my house (well I'm not there any more) and let them help out with the selling if they are having trouble.
Grasshopper

I'm passing on some advice my late Wife gave me. PREPARE IN ADVANCE. I have a lot of machinery, expensive models, tooling, tools and such. I've taken the time to take pictures of what I have. Then went to eBay, found exact or similar items and printed out what people are asking for items. I build plastic and 1/8 scale cars. The 1/8 cars cost me about $2,000 just to buy the model then put it together. Did the same with these on eBay. Then buy a fire proof safe for your office. Put all this paper information in there along with instructions to your heirs on what to do with all your "stuff". My late Wife told me Her "instructions" on what to do after She was gone. Trust me, it was one of the best things She did for me. Don't have your heirs "wondering" what to do, TELL them what to do with your possessions. I also have 2 very close friends who are master machinists. I have instructions to fly them out to my place, put them up in my house (well I'm not there any more) and let them help out with the selling if they are having trouble.
Grasshopper
Great advice David and I wish my dad had done that! I'll definately apply your wife's advice to our family's estate. Thanks to the all for the sage wisdom! Brian

Great advice David and I wish my dad had done that! I'll definately apply your wife's advice to our family's estate. Thanks to the all for the sage wisdom! Brian
It's very, very hard if you haven't been In business yourself to understand that most things have to be marked up a minimum of 50% to make a profit. So it's insanity to expect to get anywhere near retail selling to someone who has to turn a profit. And anything else is going to take time. How much is your time worth? It's the one thing that can't be replaced . Sometimes it's better to be glad the departed had a good time, and just let it go without guilt, even if it means standing up to the pressure of family who put an obligation on others to take time to make money for them.

I have developed an ad for the tools at my dad's which I am attaching. If there are interested members please let me know. We will send more pictures of measurement tools that we have not photographed yet. I'll be back in Vermont starting Thursday thru 10/13. Appreciate the advise and comments from the group. It's been a very positive experience getting to learn about the machines with several forums being very helpful. Thanks! Brian
Dear Brian,

I think you are asking to much for every piece of the equipment, but I'm pretty much of a cheapskate.

I expect that you will not get a lot of traffic with the prices you are asking, but I've been proven wrong before.

Good luck in your sales!

Carl

I did get some feedback from some that helped me set the price. We are negociable on that. There are a quite a few added accessories that were included to help justify the price but I'm no expert on machine tool values.

I did get some feedback from some that helped me set the price. We are negociable on that. There are a quite a few added accessories that were included to help justify the price but I'm no expert on machine tool values.
Well, you can always drop the prices. See what happens for now. I am inclined to agree that your prices are high, but there may be someone close to you who is looking for that exact equipment. I didn't want to be a "Debby-Downer" in my post. I was just reflecting what I heard from this particular member of our club, who has been selling machine tools for over 30 years. Every region of the country is different, and what applies in Arizona does not necessarily apply where you are located.

They look like clean, well cared for machines. One recommendation: add the type of mount (if any) that is included with the 6-jaw Bison chuck.

I am sorry for the loss of your father. I hope the process of selling his tools will be cathartic, perhaps a chance to recall good memories of his enjoyment of the tools.

It's much easier to drop the price than it is to raise it and I did notice some accessories in the pictures that were not listed in the descriptions. Your asking prices seem fine to me.

You are at a disadvantage with machines in central VT- that is not exactly the center of the machine tool world. I live on the coast in Maine and have the same problem. I have told my wife about Gary Schoenly and Cabin Fever auction. I have come to know Gary pretty well and trust him to be honest in handling this stuff. She will have him come and clean out everything when Im gone. One visit and he will leave a clean, swept floor and she will eventually get one check.

Gary just did this for a good friend of mine out in Colorado, one of those sad cases where Steve died 2 weeks before his retirement date. I expect to bid on some of his tools.

Gary was in Maine last week collecting some tools for the auction. He did point out that a common problem in a case like this the family sells off the one or two good machines, Then it is not worth Garys time to come and pickup the small stuff, so a lot of tools, measuring instruments etc winds up in the local dump. If Gary had picked up the entire lot it would have all been sold, even the $5 items. And some buyer at the auction would be thrilled to go home with something he wanted.

Back