Seized taper lock

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jonburt83

Reaction score
Hi,

I hope you don't mind my asking this question here but I thought this was the best forum to seek help with this problem.

I'm trying to remove a pulley from a woodworking bandsaw but am unable to release the taper lock. Having removed the two grub screws and inserted one into the hole to release the taper lock, I've been trying with a manual hex key (1/4") to drive it in but am simply unable to do so and can't get it to budge. I've used penetrating oil but it's made no difference. I wondered if anyone had any advice on how to remove this - I'd be very grateful for any information!

Attachments

• IMG_20230223_201540.jpg
    IMG_20230223_201540.jpg
    5.3 MB · Views: 5
Put plenty of pressure on with the release screw(s). Then start tapping the pulley and taper-lock smartly all round with a hammer, fairly near the join line. Not too hard, but lots and lots, and it should break free after a while. It could take half an hour. If it still has not come off, hit it a bit harder. Make sure you keep the tension on the screw.

Thanks a lot, will try all this and hopefully get it off this weekend!

Make sure the threads for the release bolts, and on the release bolts themselves aren't damaged. If they are use a tap to clean the holes up. A little grease on the screw threads might let the release bolts apply a little more force without them getting stuck, too.

Cheers - I've put penetrating oil in but it's going to take more than that

Latest posts

Back