Seig X-2 cnc conversion

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tin Falcon

Reaction score
Well guys I am starting this off as a break away from an earlier thread.
Dec 31 08
Well guys things are moving forward.
Last weekend I went to a computer show and purchased a used computer and monitor to run Mach 3.
Mach 3 has been downloaded I have printed the manuals and have been reading studying them and playing with the program some.

Today we ordered a g540 drive and some new motors from HOMESHOPCNC that are not up on the site yet they are 300 OZ motors wound to match the G540/G20/g251 family.
Thanks for all the help
looks like I am getting newly released stuff hope that is a good thing.

Jan 24 2009
Well am moving forward seems slow.
Lets see progress
Mach 3 seminar @Cabin Fever.
Motors and controllers in hand
Keling power supply in hand
gutted old pc (XT ) for the box
Gutted the XT power supply to use the power connection switch and fan.
Last evening was a wash did not get home from work til 9pm.
Made adapter plate to mount G540 where drives used to go
mounted keling power supply
Went to radio shack today to get connector strips, fork connectors, resistors, a fuse holder, project box for the e-stop etc.
Cut and mounted a piece of marine starboard plastic so the fan power supply and the terminal blocks can be mounted also the spindle ps can be mounted later.
The apprentice is helping

Jan 25 09
I realized I need some more wire etc to build this to my liking and rely want to push forward. So decided to do a temp wire up to get things going. For now am just concentrating on getting the x-y axis going with the factory lead screws. will probaly order the ball screws in the next week or two.
Not sure if I am being lazy or wise but plan on getting the cnc going to finish the main Z axis mounting plate.
so today's progress:
power supply wired
gecko wired
e-stop box drilled e-stop button wired
x-axis motor wired

I kept the face plate of the old XT power supply so plan on using the input power plug the switch and the fan but will hook them up later. I am glad I have had to solder up a few DB9 connectors at work in the past few months the practice has come in handy.

1 Feb 09
Well during the week powered up the gecko only to find the fault light came on and would not clear. After about 2 hours of frustrated head scratching found that gecko has revised the manual and posted a start up guide. I had to reset the computer bios to get the charge pump to work also found we had attached the wires for the e-stop to the NO side instead of the NC.
The memory of the computer has been upgraded to the needed 512 mb. The motors are hooked up and running. I am having trouble with the Stirling Steele design couplings so will have to buy or make some Olham couplings or buy some lovejoy couplings. If the cnc was operational they would be easy to make.LOL
Tin
I know need to get some pics up.

Glad to see you're taking the plunge. Maybe this will give me the confidence to try some CNC as well.

Chuck

When you get ready for pulleys and belts check these guys out for prices: http://econobelt.com/Q460/RFQ/Pg_1-042_3.html

I ran up on them in a google search a couple years ago and they couldn't be beat. They have other catalogs as well. I have no connection with them other tan being a satisfied customer. -Mike

Mike: Thanks for the link. I Am good on those for now the Steele plans use just one belt and one set of pulleys but I may ad pulleys and belts to the x and y axis later. I have heard some suggest one buy several plan sets then pick the one or parts they like the best I did not do that at 40 - 50 $ per set. But may rebuild later at least will have cnc to make the new parts.
Tin

Well received and installed the new couplings during the week. I get overnight shipping from McMaster Carr at ground rates. Seems to be working much smoother. More testing building this weekend may actually try to make some chips in two axis mode.
Tin

Feb 8 We finished and made made a few more parts for the Z axis mount and adjusted the X-y mounting . Still no chips made but moving forward.
Tin

Was at the NEMES show last weekend and away with the wife the weekend before. Have been doing my homework on Hall effect ICs need to install some limit switches to help prevent bumping into the end of travel.
Tin

This post ain't werf nuffin wivout more piktures :big: :big:

Kind regards

Malcolm

Feels like this is dragging out.
Note to self and others make sure the machine ways are smooth and true and the gibs are properly adjusted before tying to convert to cnc. DAMHIKT.
I did actually try out the G12 command to machine the Z axis mount. G12 G13 is a circle/pocket cycle. right now I am sort of running in 2 axis mode. this was essentially a 1.270 counterbore.

Yes will try to get some photos up. We got a new digi camera a couple weekends ago for a family wedding. I may even eventual try a video clip.
I may have to start a new Photo bucket account. Somebody misplaced the pass word and forgot to update email info :-[
Life and the project go on. I recently ordered a set of the fignogle plans due to some frustrations with the steel plans. I need a CNC Mill to convert the mill to CNC.
Tin

Well folks one of the struggles here was adjusting the Y axis gib.I made a fignoggle jig and made a new gib out of brass .
I used the shaper to do the jig and gib rather than puting the mill back together then take it apart again to do the y gib.
I then made a little drill bushing out of brass hex and drilled the little holes in the gib insitu. I then removed the gib and cleared out the chips . A world of improvement.

Here is the jig and drill bushing.
DSCI0007.jpg

I can move on now.
Tin

Hey Tin
I was reading your post as I do all of them with a lot of interest and had a question what is a fignoggle jig. Cliff.

Cliff : Sorry for the jargon it showed up in another post/ thread forgot to translate. Fignoggle is figgnoggle designs. Dave publishes plans for x-2 , x-3 CNC conversions you pay him about $ 40 and he e-mails a set of personalized plans with your name and e-mail address on each page. (Discourages unauthorized reproduction of plans) http://www.fignoggle.com/
The jig is a seig x-2 gib holder plans these can be downloaded and used for personal use
http://www.fignoggle.com/plans/figNoggle_gibStripViseBlock.pdf
He also has plans for a tooling plate
http://www.fignoggle.com/plans/figNoggle_X2FixturePlate.pdf
Tin

I am now mounting the z axis parts from the steel plans. the fignoogle mounts is a lot sturdier but also lots of parts to make. The parts from the steele plans are made so will give it a go.
Tin

Thanks for the info I understand now BTW I really enjoy all of your post's Cliff.

I know I need to get my photo bucket thing straightened out and take some photos but here is a start. here is the heart of my electronics a G540 this little package has a breakout board 4 motor drivers, spindle control, control for a couple of relays inputs for homing switches etc.
Current list just under $300
from Geckodrive.net

G540%20Website%20Picture.gif

G540 Specifications:

- Four 10-Microstep motor drives
- 0 to 3.5A rated phase current
- 18VDC to 50VDC supply voltage
- Mid-band resonance compensation
- Auto standby current (70% current)
- Short-circuit protected
- Optoisolation on all LPT signal pins
- Two 1A at 0 to 50VDC rated outputs
- Four SPST to GND inputs (TTL)
- FAULT indicator LED,signal to PC
- POWER indicator LED
- I-SET resistor on motor connector
- TRIM adjust for motor smoothness
- Panel mount (5.7” by2.4” hole dim.)
- Anodized aluminum package
- No heatsink needed below 40C ambient
- Easy to service, removable drives
- Modular PCB design with no internal wires
- 10kHz watchdog timer (charge pump)
- Optoisolated analog output for a VFD drive
- Conservative ratings, premium components
- Comes with four backshells and four DB9 solder cup connectors
This little box is virtually plug and play as you can download an xml file to automatically set most of the Mach 3 settings for milling.
Yah just need to add motors a powerer supply and a couple of resistors.

Steele plans here
http://www.stirlingsteele.com/millplans.html
A mill converted with the steel plans
v2.jpg

and here is a mill converted with fignoggle plans.
fignoggle_cnc-dro_advertsmall.jpg

Hope this helps the visual receptors at least a little.
Tin

Ok some long awaited pic not the best quality looks like i need to learn the camera.
Here is the progress for the weekend the assembled z axis drive.
DSCI0001.jpg

Here is a shot of the x axis drive and coupling

DSCI0006.jpg

And here is the control box and e stop

DSCI0005.jpg

So slowly things move on I realy need to do better on lighting.
Tin

Hi
What power motors are you going for?

Also what pitch lead screws Ball screw will you use?

I am going to do a similar conversion soon.

Regards
Paul

I have RS23-300 300 oz in motors from
http://www.homeshopcnc.com/RSstepperMotors2.html
these motors are wound to match the g-540 drive I got the 540 from homeshop cnc as well. Neither of these items show on the web site grrrr but rick lebond is great to work with and is very quick to respond to emails even though this is a side business. The main company rex industries caters to the industrial market selling ball screws and motion control motors.

As far as ball screw Right now I just have one for the z it is an odd pithch from mcmaster carr just under 5 threads per inch i will probably buy these for the x and y right now just using original factory screws probably a bit of the headache on the x.
http://www.roton.com/Mating_Components.aspx?family=7059321
Less than $25 for the nuts an about $11 a foot for the screws seem decent and a good value.
Tin

Here's mine. I used Mcmaster-Carr 5/8 ball screws as well. It seems to hold size very well, +/- .001. I have to admit so far I've just done simple shapes and the engraving wizards in Mach3.

CNC Machine Pictures 001.JPG

Back