Seig X-2 cnc conversion

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
BR:
Welcome to the board. Your shop looks as neat as mine.
If you get a chance post an intro to the welcome section tell us about yourself and your interests with metal working and engines. I see you are into cnc.
Tin

Not a lot of progress to report. but I did check the calibration of the x and y axis and wrote a little program to do the hole pattern for the rocker engine fly wheel. It appears most of my backlash problems were in the couplings and problems coming from dragging in the ways.
A small step forward.
Tin

Well spent last weekend on the lil rocky engine(s). I still need to mill the cylinder(s).
Thursday Evening I registered /purchased the Mach 3 license and that for the Mill Add ons they sent them out via e-mail in just a few hours.
I attempted some progress on the cnc mill this weekend I got the z axis mounted and wired. Did a little testing and did mill a little pocket in aluminum on the second attempt. So there is some good progress. I am a bit frustrated because i can not seem to clear an abnormal condition error . And I have to remember this is a little x-2 so light cuts.
Tin

well a couple weeks ago tried to hook up the vfd. no joy yet. so further homework.
also need to get the fan hooked up in the control box to keep the gecko cool.
Tin

Managed to motivate myself to hook up the fan in the box.
so that meant
1) remove old wires from a/c input jack and solder new ones on.
2) install terminal strips to hook wires to.
3) install standoffs for fan power supply (and find them first)
4) install fan power supply
5) hook main power supply, fan power supply and AC in to terminal strips.
6) make and install safety cover for terminal strips.
7) turn fan around so it would blow in instead of out.

and of course you need a photo.
DSCI0016-1.jpg

the fan is from the old pc
the fan ps is from LMS came when i purchased a new fan for the Mill.
the terminal strips are from radio shack
a 4 for the hot then split an 8 in two for the neutral and ground.
there are 3 ,4 prong jumper strips connecting the wires (also from rs)
Main power supply is keiling
and the gecko is the black box in the background.
probably not NASA quality but Should be safe and functional.

I made a drawing for the rotary table mount to add a stepper to that. Getting better with small parts on Albre.
I like being able to draw quickly to scale, helps visualize the details and shows problems before you make the part.

A-axis-reva.jpg

tin

earlier i said may in a couple of years.... your tempting me now. especially as you still have the manual controls... oh why did i read this thread lol.

Tin, your mill is coming along nicely :) CNC conversion takes a bit of time, but is well worth it in the end! My conversion was done with EMC2 instead of mach3, as the software is free and very powerful. I found that I needed the spring style couplings (helical?) they got rid of vibration caused by my mounts not being quite square. You are definitely right about adjusting the gibs and travels being a pain, found I had to re-adjust my cross-slide today as the slop was causing my parting tool to chatter way to much. I found that a piece at a time and one step forward works the best, and that it takes as long as it take to get it done and right ;) I would love to see a vid of your mill, as I am thinking of getting one like yours this winter, and starting a conversion on it :) with the lathe almost fully operational, I am getting the itch to have a mill now hehe...kind of an addicting hobby :big:

Regards,

Will R. Everett, WA.

This thread is like the star trek series a continuing mission to explore the unknown.
I once again took the cnc seminar at the Cabin Fever show. I also recently purchased a pmdx spindle sensor . That is on my to do list.
Tin

We are going to do the Mini Mill Build class again in June at the CNC workshop. In this class 10 guys get the Little Machine Shop High Torque mini mill, and a full conversion kit, including ballscrews and all the electronics. At the class we do the assembly and check it out. Last year we were 10 for 10- every machine worked by the last day. In fact, only one machine had one wire error, the other 9 ran first time.

The price if the class last year was $2050 I think. George Bulliss, the editor of HOME SHOP MACHINIST does all the purchasing and logistics, I just show up and lead the class. The price includes admission to the 3 day long workshop- total immersion in CNC!

If you are interested you better get to George soon, at Cabin fever he told me he already had about 8 guys ready to sign up.

thanks Ron I talked to George at cabin fever a good deal indeed. but I have too much time and money in the current build to start over . And Michigan is long drive.
Tin

Latest posts

Back