Secondhand 48DP 14-1/2 PA gear cutters needed (UK)

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AndrewW

Reaction score
Hi
I'm in the process of building a Jerry Howell v-twin IC engine. I've managed to purchase number 5 and 7 cutters from RDG Tools, but I can't find a UK supplier with number 4 or 8. Some US suppliers have them but they are far too expensive after paying carriage and import duties.
I had considered converting to Mod 0.5 but I really want to stick to the drawing spec if at all possible.
So, if there is anyone in the UK who would be willing to sell me either number 4 or 8 cutter, please contact me. My email address is [email protected]
For info, I live near York and I am covering the build on my YouTube channel (learning turning metal).
Cheers
Andrew

UPDATE: Unfortunately I've had no replies to my original post. However I have found a supplier in the US who has the cutters I need. Problem is that they do not currently ship to the UK. So I am wondering if someone in the US would be kind enough to purchase them on my behalf and ship them to me? The cutters are around $62 each plus any local shipping costs etc. I can forward the cash is advance via PayPal. Likewise I can send the UK shipping costs via PayPal once known. I am currently exploring gear hobbing but that will be another project in it's own right.
Someone commented on my YouTube channel that they might be able to help but they haven't replied to my request. I hope they are safe and well. For now my JH v-twin is on hold.
I really appreciate any help out there.
Cheers
Andrew

I have similar problem and need to make a 48 tooth 24 dp 14.5 deg. internal gear and an 18 and 12 tooth gear the cost of the gears from boston gear are prohibitive. Managed to find an excellent you tube video by Huub Buis, on making cutters this includes excellent spread sheet and clear instructions. [thank you Huub!!!!]. This will solve my problem. {brilliant]. May be you could make your missing cutters that you need from this.

link.

UPDATE: Unfortunately I've had no replies to my original post. However I have found a supplier in the US who has the cutters I need. Problem is that they do not currently ship to the UK. So I am wondering if someone in the US would be kind enough to purchase them on my behalf and ship them to me? The cutters are around $62 each plus any local shipping costs etc. I can forward the cash is advance via PayPal. Likewise I can send the UK shipping costs via PayPal once known. I am currently exploring gear hobbing but that will be another project in it's own right.
Someone commented on my YouTube channel that they might be able to help but they haven't replied to my request. I hope they are safe and well. For now my JH v-twin is on hold.
I really appreciate any help out there.
Cheers
Andrew
Hello Andrew:

Did you consider making the gear cutters diy? Hardening some steel properly is my biggest hurdle to proceed.
"AndysMachines" has some nice hobbing instructions on his youtube channel.
The "robert4522" showed this: he is using a type of hob with parallel grooves that looks realistic achievable.

How rigid is your fancy new CNC milling machine? How slow can you run the spindle? How small are your small movements?
You can try cutting a single tooth profile bit out of HSS for flycutting the gear? Using a 1.5 or 2 mm four flute carbide end mill you can get the necessary detail.
It takes ages, makes nasty micro small needle chips and it will ruin the endmill. I am not sure how stiff and how accurate the machine needs to be.
Example cutting feeds and speeds from a manufacturer. I am not related to them, I think the table gives some idea.

http://www.cmtec.com.tw/admin/product_en/images/file/2017-06-13/593f61b4b1a42.pdf
Greetings Timo

Hello Andrew:

Did you consider making the gear cutters diy? Hardening some steel properly is my biggest hurdle to proceed.
"AndysMachines" has some nice hobbing instructions on his youtube channel.
The "robert4522" showed this: he is using a type of hob with parallel grooves that looks realistic achievable.

How rigid is your fancy new CNC milling machine? How slow can you run the spindle? How small are your small movements?
You can try cutting a single tooth profile bit out of HSS for flycutting the gear? Using a 1.5 or 2 mm four flute carbide end mill you can get the necessary detail.
It takes ages, makes nasty micro small needle chips and it will ruin the endmill. I am not sure how stiff and how accurate the machine needs to be.
Example cutting feeds and speeds from a manufacturer. I am not related to them, I think the table gives some idea.

http://www.cmtec.com.tw/admin/product_en/images/file/2017-06-13/593f61b4b1a42.pdf
Greetings Timo

Hi Timo. Thanks for the info. Douglas in the US is trying to get hold of the two cutters I need. I understand he has found cutter #4 and possibly #8. I also came across AndysMachines gear hobbing videos and they have got me exploring this option as more of a longer term solution.
Thanks for your help.
Andrew

I have similar problem and need to make a 48 tooth 24 dp 14.5 deg. internal gear and an 18 and 12 tooth gear the cost of the gears from boston gear are prohibitive. Managed to find an excellent you tube video by Huub Buis, on making cutters this includes excellent spread sheet and clear instructions. [thank you Huub!!!!]. This will solve my problem. {brilliant]. May be you could make your missing cutters that you need from this.

link.

Hi stof. Thanks for the info. I think it would be beyond me making cutters but I'll explore the method. Douglas in the US is trying to help me out. I think he's managed to get one of the cutters I'm missing. I'm also exploring gear hobbing as a longer term solution.
Cheers
Andrew

Hi stof. Thanks for the info. I think it would be beyond me making cutters but I'll explore the method. Douglas in the US is trying to help me out. I think he's managed to get one of the cutters I'm missing. I'm also exploring gear hobbing as a longer term solution.
Cheers
Andrew
Andrew, I seriously doubt it is beyond your ability to make gear cutters. That is, the simple type, circular, about a 1/4 thick with a hole in the middle. A good metal that is heat treatable and quite possible, even easy. Look on utub for some vids.

Have a look at the Eureka device for making cutters, details in ’Gears and Gearcutting’ book

I built the twin and I used the .5 MOD cutters. I just used the DP dimensions with the MOD cutters and they worked just fine.

Altho' I have a set of cutters, I don't know where they are, as I have not needed them for many years. I need to make a couple gears, one to replace the plastic piece of krap on an Enco and a specialty gear of 50 teeth for either the Enco or better yet, the Grizz.

If necessary, I will make the cutters myself, as I have all the skills necessary. If anyone has a lathe and can do heat treating, they too can make gear cutters. Truly, it is not all that much.

I built the twin and I used the .5 MOD cutters. I just used the DP dimensions with the MOD cutters and they worked just fine.
Hi Gordon
That was my original plan and I recalculated gear centres in cad. However I ended up with a slightly different tooth count on all gears in order to achieve similar PCD's. I later noticed a comment on the last page of the JH v-twin regarding the gears being 1/4 of a tooth out. I didn't know how to apply the math to my different tooth count, so I bottled it and decided to stick to the drawings. Maybe I was being overly cautious.
The good news is that the cutters I was missing are now on their way to me from the USA.
Cheers
Andrew

Altho' I have a set of cutters, I don't know where they are, as I have not needed them for many years. I need to make a couple gears, one to replace the plastic piece of krap on an Enco and a specialty gear of 50 teeth for either the Enco or better yet, the Grizz.

If necessary, I will make the cutters myself, as I have all the skills necessary. If anyone has a lathe and can do heat treating, they too can make gear cutters. Truly, it is not all that much.
Hi Richard maybe I should have tried going down that route.
Cheers
Andrew

UPDATE!!!! The two missing cutters are on their way from the USA!
Douglas in Pennsylvania pulled out all the stops for me and managed to find a supplier in the US (travers.com). He ordered them for me and posted them to me yesterday. I can't thank Douglas enough for all his help. Also thanks to others for their suggestions.
Cheers Douglas!
So this thread can now be 'closed'.

Sorry to revive this, but I have had to but a 48dp hob for another job so I can machine 48 and other dp or Mod spur and helical gears.

Sorry to revive this, but I have had to but a 48dp hob for another job so I can machine 48 and other dp or Mod spur and helical gears.
Thanks mate. Time has moved on. Out of interest I've now built a hobbing machine, based around AndysMachines (YouTube) hobbing machine. A few wrinkles to be ironed out but decent progress so far.
All the best.
Andrew

Latest posts

Back