Scratch built Holt 75 engine

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you save Solidworks parts or assemblies as parasolids (x_t) files or as .step files (.step), then the upward or downward compatibility between different years is no longer a problem, and modern cnc machines can work directly off the 3D files. If you export a Solidworks drawing as a .dxf file, the older version cnc machines can work from that.---Brian

Hi, again, Brian,

My problem is getting the Solidworks files. I did a couple of web searches and never found anything.

Bob

I too would be interested in knowing if any of these drawings existed (from Coles or otherwise..) in the "Free" domain. I really like this engine & would like to CAD model it up.

John

I doubt you will find anything. Even tho coles is gone, the rights to the drawings and ability to produce castings for sale still belongs to the previous owner and should not be copied without his or her permission. If you find files on the internet they will most likely be illegal copies. One of the things I like about the model engineering community is there respect for copyrights of drawings created by other engineers. If we don't respect others work, most won't offer it for sale and we will have nothing to build.

I totally agree with everything you said Steve. I think my post came across with the wrong message. I would never "pirate" copyrighted material or publish drawings without the original owners permission. I never had the intention of profiting off any of the plans I've posted & most likely never will.

John

I totally agree with everything you said Steve. I think my post came across with the wrong message. I would never "pirate" copyrighted material or publish drawings without the original owners permission. I never had the intention of profiting off any of the plans I've posted & most likely never will.

John

To be honest John I really didn't feel that you were asking for "pirate copies" of a any kind. I guess I was just trying to explain why they might not be found and it turned into an effort to educate the membership here a little bit. For instance I saw mention of "solidworks files" being looked for. If 3D files were found on one of the 3D file sites like GrabCad, the files are still illegal copies because the were created using the original drawings and are not original work. You cant take someones work and put it in another format (2D drawing to 3D model) and consider it "your" work and profit from it or just start giving it away for free. If I see those files on 3D file sharing sites I personally wont get them. I know how hard it is to find cool stuff to build and I don't want to discourage someone from publishing plans for sale thinking they will just get pirated. Again I said that that is one of the things I like about the "modeling community". I think the vast majority of the members here and modelers everywhere respect each others work and have no interest in that sort of activity. This is a great bunch of people and that includes you John. Sorry if I made you feel any less than that.

As probably the guy Steve's referring to, perhaps I should explain myself.

My background is that I'm not a lawyer, but I have a patent under my name. That patent was assigned to my employer at the time per our employment agreement. I have also written a very large piece of electronic design software on my own (that is, at home) that I give away the executable form but not the source code. I want to keep the copyright so that someone else doesn't release it under their name.

What I was told was that patents and copyrights work essentially the same way. US patent/copyright law is based on harm to the patent/copyright holder, and that means taking sales away by selling copies. If I buy a book and want to copy it for my own use, I can do that as long as I never sell it to someone else. I've copied pages out of books to use in the shop so that when they get oil on them, my expensive book doesn't get damaged. I believe that's fully legal under "fair use".

When I copy a few pages out of a book I bought, have I hurt the company that holds the copyright? It's possible if I had my book in the shop, I might have damaged it and bought a second copy. I also might have said, "oh, well, now it has oil on it" and not replaced the book. Our legal system typically considers the losses from not selling a single copy to be negligible.

Since nobody is selling the prints now, how could copying them harm the copyright holder? There's a swamp of legalese between copyright holders dying, or going out of business or just being unidentifiable. This could be under the law of "Orphan Works" or it could be that the copyright was assigned to someone and they aren't tracking use or don't care about it at all.

If someone knows if there's a copyright holder and if they intend to sell that to someone else, that would be a great answer.

No worries Steve. It's because of the ethical morals of the members here that make this a pretty cool place.

Always something new to see & learn. George did a great job on the Holt, as well as every other project he puts his hands on.

Cheers gentlemen!

John

"Since nobody is selling the prints now, how could copying them harm the copyright holder?"

Two things come to mind. One, the person who owns them may just be restructuring the business and intends to resume sale of the drawings. Two, the person may be retired because of age and is trying to find someone to purchase the design. If the internet is flooded with the design offered for free the "rights" would be worthless.

Again i'm not judging anyone or telling anyone what to do. How about we just let it go as to not muddy up Georges thread any further. George, my apologies.

Two things come to mind. One, the person who owns them may just be restructuring the business and intends to resume sale of the drawings. Two, the person may be retired because of age and is trying to find someone to purchase the design. If the internet is flooded with the design offered for free the "rights" would be worthless.

This is primarily what I'm trying to find out. Given my abilities (or lack thereof) I'd like to see what's entailed. It might be so far over my head that the question is meaningless and will be for years.

Again i'm not judging anyone or telling anyone what to do. How about we just let it go as to not muddy up Georges thread any further. George, my apologies.

Agreed, and my apologies, too, George.

I have a set of plans and instructions that I purchased from Coles a number of years ago. Thought I might get a set of
castings to build that engine but never worked out. Would be glad to share, loan or gift to someone if they are interested.
Not sure how well they would copy but that may not be proper anyway.

Bob

I completed my Holt several years ago. I also didn't like the crankcase procedure so I ordered an extra one from Coles when they were still Ventura for $30. Split them both and made one bolt together. Worked out very well. Much better. I too am sorry that Coles went extinct. Larry

Back