Scrap Cast Aluminum Engine Block

Home Model Engine Machinist Forum

Help Support Home Model Engine Machinist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mitchlandry

Reaction score
New here, but I have a question, I have an old cast aluminum block from an outboard motor that is scrap. Is the metal worth cutting up to use, or should I just haul it off to the scrap yard. It's from a 200HP engine so there is quite a bit of metal on the block.

Melt that puppy down and cast lots of new stuff from it. Old cast aluminum makes good stock for casting new parts with.
Easiest way to get it to small enough pieces for your crucible is build a nice hot fire around it after taking all the steel out of it you can. There is a temp called hot shot where the alu will brake real easy with a hammer.

Dave

Thanks, what about using on mill / lathe as is from the smaller pieces, I'm not setup for casting at this time.

Make big fire, put block in pan, put in fire, block melts, pour aluminum leaving steel and iron. no foundry required.

pg_126169731.jpg

LOL, sounds fairly simple. What type of pan should be used for this? I have not done any casting research, guess it's time to go off an learn some things.

Aluminum is pretty simple, be wary of melting in ss pots and cups most of them are 303L and burn thru very easily. An old propane bottle cut open works out just fine for starters as well as old steel fire extinguishers. Just look and see what you have laying around most anything works just dont flux in them!!! Melt pour and be happy, You will be surprised how easy it can be. Word of warning it does become addictive!!

Latest posts

Back